Lopi Pioneer problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thirsty

Oct 17, 2008
ny
Hello folks. I am having a problem with a used, 2 year old Lopi Pioneer that I purchased recently. The installation was pretty simple, through the wall with all manufacture specs met. The only thing I did not do was install a OAK, as per the advise of 2 separate Lopi dealers.

My issue is that after about 45 minutes or so, my burn pot begins to overflow. I mean alot. It will build a pile high enough that it begins to back up ito the pellet drop shute. This causes my flame to "smother" and loose all efficency. I, in return, shut the unit down beacuse the pellets begin to pile up after falling out of the burn pot unburned.

I took the panels apart and looked in all the passages, cleaned the burn pot, installed a new 7/8 rope gasket around the door etc. The blowers are clean and seem to be working properly. The vent pipe is new so there are no blockages. It seems that the auger keeps dropping the pellets faster then the unit will burn them. I get good heat form the unit for the first 25-35 minutes, then the air seems to become cooler.

I watched some videos on You Tube and I can say my unit is no where near producing a flame like those units. It just seem to produce a weak flame if you would. I have tried adjusting the airflow as well with the slider with no positive results.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

From your description, to me it seems like a control unit problem. The control unit is suppose to regulate the pellet feed. Maybe you can email the manufacture and get there take on it.

You mentioned you replaced the door gasket...Some stoves require air space around some of the door to allow combustion air. If your flame seems weak this may be the case.. Check your Manufactures specs for the door gasketing!!

Well, I figured out my problem, and what an idiot I am (lol)! I did not have the tray that slides just above the ashpan installed. I guess when I brought the stove home and installed it, I forgot to put the tray in place (it was still in the garage). So off I go panicking to my local Lopi dealer and am just about to set up an appointment with a service tech to come out to the house. The dealer is like, yeah, its $85.00 an hour plus travel and parts. I walk over to another Lopi Pioneer on display and look down and say to myself "Self, I dont remember seeing that thing on our stove". I even took pictures on my digital camera of the weak flame and piled up pellets to show the dealer to prove Im not nuts. He looks and the picture and says "Yep, thats your problem, Dummy". So I went home put the tray in and the stove works perfect.

Lesson learned: Pay attention to detail and dont always assume the worse.

I have to thank North Star Energy in Middletown NY and Wade for his honesty and keen eye. Glad to see that there are still professionals out there willing to help. He could have seen that issue, sent a tech out and charged me boku bucks to put a try in it's place. Thanks wade and every who replied with tips and advise.

Great forum, really top shelf. Keep up the good work and the good info folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.