Lopi Yankee Bay Combustion Blower Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colforbin923

Nov 15, 2006
Western, CT
Question for anyone out there with experieince. I have a 2005 Lopi Yankee Bay insert, I have been having a problem with the combustion blower starting slowly, you turn the stove on in manual hit the start button and I can see the blades on the fan motor start to inch along very slowly, this goes on for about 5-10 minutes when it eventually starts to spin full speed, pellets start to flow and the stove ignites. The motor never stops turning while the stove is running it just "sticks" on start up, eventually I am afraid it will just cease or burn out. Is this a cleaning issue or should I just drop $175 for a new motor and swap it out. I pulled the motor off a couple of days ago but didn't have the time to disconnect wiring, remove the fan blades so I could really get to the motor and see if there was anything jammed up in the windings, etc. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks !

Burn Out said:
Question for anyone out there with experieince. I have a 2005 Lopi Yankee Bay insert, I have been having a problem with the combustion blower starting slowly, you turn the stove on in manual hit the start button and I can see the blades on the fan motor start to inch along very slowly, this goes on for about 5-10 minutes when it eventually starts to spin full speed, pellets start to flow and the stove ignites. The motor never stops turning while the stove is running it just "sticks" on start up, eventually I am afraid it will just cease or burn out. Is this a cleaning issue or should I just drop $175 for a new motor and swap it out. I pulled the motor off a couple of days ago but didn't have the time to disconnect wiring, remove the fan blades so I could really get to the motor and see if there was anything jammed up in the windings, etc. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks !

I don't have a Yankee, but my Astoria is the same stove branded by Avalon. As far as I know, my comb. fan starts right up and goes to regular speed immediately.

I was curious...how did you see the fan blades spinning? Did you start the stove with the blower removed? It sounded like you took the motor off the bracket.....don't do that, just remove the whole blower/motor assembly (be careful not to rip the gasket).

Another thought would be to make a power wire "tester" cord like I did. Find an old lamp cord that still has the plug, strip the ends.

Unplug the comb. blower power wires, and wrap the 'tester" leads around the motor wire terminals. Wrap with some elect. tape, and plug in. If the blower starts slow like you mentioned, and then slowly speeds up, then you may need a new one. Not sure cleaning will help, but you could try blowing it out with compressed air, or vacuum it.

As far as lubrication, my Astoria doesn't have provision for lubrication on the comb. blower (although you can do that on the convection blower). If you think the motor is going to have to be replaced, just for the heck of it, try some 3 in 1 oil right where the motor shaft goes into the motor case.....then try plugging it again as I mentioned above....might help, might not....nothing to lose by trying.

Hello, I have an Avalon Astoria Bay insert and the combustion motor has been failing for about a month. I starts slowly and occasionally squeals but it still works. I keep the fan blade clean and oil the motor shaft occasionally even though its a non-oil motor. Just curious what is the model and brand of your motor? I have been trying to find a similar motor that is cheaper than the dealer price.
Thanks and good luck,
Bob

My Astoria is a 2005, and the motor is a Fasco #7021-10547, Type U21B. The only place that I found that has the motor is this one:

It's the 3rd one down. Double check the measurements they list with yours, and maybe call them and double check that way too.

www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/fireplace.htm

Great thanks for the information. I believe I saw that one but was concerned about the different amps. The motor listed is showing 0.6 amps mine has 1.0. Not sure if it makes any difference. Did you buy and use that motor?
Thanks,
Bob

Lulac said:
.... Did you buy and use that motor? ......

No, didn't buy one, as i haven't had any issues w/ my motor (knock on wood). Just was being pro-active and finding a place that had them in case i had to order one quick in the future.

Another place you might try is Grainger. I tried looking online at their site, and found a couple of motors that looked the same, but i wasn't 100% sure. If you have a Grainger nearby, take the motor out ( or at least take ALL the motor info w/ you), and maybe they have them, or can order them. I have one about a mile from home, and plan on stopping in there sometime with the numbers off all my motors (blowers and auger) to see if they can get them.

As for the amps listed, I wouldn't worry...

Before you shell out the dough, try cleaning it. Slow starting is often a sign of dirty motor parts which cause a weak magnetic pull between the stator (outer part with the coil) and the rotor or armature which is the turning part (which also has windings on variable speed motors). If you can take it apart and clean it up it may work like new again? If you can't take it apart, at least take it off and spray a can of electrical contact cleaner in every visible opening. Drain it, blow it out with compressed air, hook it back up. I've kept an old dremel tool running after it acted the same way.
Mike -

Sometimes your neighborhood electrical repair man can hook you up with a replacement for a better price. Grainger and McMaster-Carr are really commercial suppliers. MCS Industrial is another I've ordered from them before. They all have online searchable catalogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.