Lopi Yankee Bay Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pduby

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2008
new england
First, I know this will be long - newbe to pellet stove but have 20+ yrs wood burning experience. We purchased and had our yankee bay installed by dealer in May, once installed they did a small test run and appeared okay. In September we started to use this occassionally and noticed right away the ash pan was extremely difficult to remove, jammed under the stove itself and there was a loud nose on all speeds. Called the dealer and scheduled us for a month out to look at it...which was fine as we weren't into our "cold"season yet. Over the next few weeks we started to use this for a few hours to over night and there were more problems - pellets piling up, remote not working, stove going out, air restrictor having no effect on the flame, unefficient burning, cleaning the stove daily, have to monitor the stove constantly to make sure the pellets weren't piling, many fault codes, etc The scheuduled day for repair was this week and that morning we awoke to an extremely large fire and flames going up into pellet chute and we shut the stove down immediately. The serviceman worked on the stove for a while and determined that the leveling legs on the front of the stove were forcing the ash pan up too tight against the stove and resulted in not forming a gasket near the air restrictor. The answer for them was to remove the legs and put a "copper nut on it's side" under the frame in the back on both sides to raise the stove back up to level - okay. I will say that once they did this the ash pan could move freely and you could instantly see that the air restrictor was working. By seeming to put the stove back into "square" thenoise, for the most part, is gone. I had asked if the frame was possibly bent and they didn't believe so. They had indicated that there were problems with the circuit boards in this model, but didn't believe this was an issue with mine. The remote was not installed correctly on the stove and was reinstalled. They did reset the air restictor and said this should not have to be moved for a while. That night we started the stove again, and it "rolled" off the nuts installed - not particularly pleased about this as we had to lift and reset the stove on the "nuts". The remote did run the stove but can not sense the temperator - when we returned home later that day the stove shut down again with fault code flashing. I called the dealer and as it was a Friday they can not address this until Monday....which means we have to use our oil furnance over the weekend. They can not guarantee someone to come out either on Monday and believe the circuit board may be faulty. At this point I do not feel comfortable with their "fix" so far and I feel they stove may have more issues. I asked about a replacement, which they were open to but would not "fill" my order until their "current" orders were completed - months away. We had purposefully ordered ours very early to avoid being on a wait list. We purchsed all our pellets from the dealer, a mix of energex and maine woods pellets. Any questions, answers or comments on what this issue may be would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.