Losing heat through the exhaust..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
We have a 2-year-old Harmon p61. It replaced our old Afton Bay. We seem to be losing quite a bit of heat out the exhaust which is 3 ft out the back of our house it does not go up... We didn't have this problem with the affton Bay and the stove is in the same place and pretty much the same exhaust piping... Any reason why????

Debi

We have a 2-year-old Harmon p61. It replaced our old Afton Bay. We seem to be losing quite a bit of heat out the exhaust which is 3 ft out the back of our house it does not go up... We didn't have this problem with the affton Bay and the stove is in the same place and pretty much the same exhaust piping... Any reason why????

Debi

Is it exhausting a lot of heat out of the pipe? Do you run the stove on Stove Temp or Room Temp? What settings?

Debi

Not familiar with your exact stove, but losing more heat than you want out the exhaust usually has to do with the draft fan speed.

Not sure if it is adjustable on your stove. On one of my stoves I have the ability to turn the draft speed down to keep more heat in the burn chamber.

Is it exhausting a lot of heat out of the pipe? Do you run the stove on Stove Temp or Room Temp? What settings?
It's usually stove temp 3 -5 depending on how cold out. This is a bigger stove yet we feel we got more heat fro our smaller stove.

Ok stove mode, but do you leave the igniter in auto or manual?

Back in the day when I installed my first pellet stove (englander ) I direct vented it and same thing I could not get good heat out of the stove, all changing settings did was dirty up the burn, When I bought the stove I bought the vent kit so I had extra pipe, so I figured I got nothing to lose by trying to add a 5ft. rise in the vent outside. Put all the stove settings back to the original settings and fired it up and long behold it heated excellent from then on.

It's usually stove temp 3 -5 depending on how cold out. This is a bigger stove yet we feel we got more heat fro our smaller stove.
Did the old 40k btu stove meet the needs of the space you were heating? If so you probably should have went with a P43. Bigger is not always better. Secondly why are you running in stove mode? The room sensing mode works really well and saves on pellets. I Iike to let the stove what it is designed to do. When you say it is not putting out as much heat, Is it using more pellets than the old stove use to in order to maintain the same room temp? Or does the Harman just not feel as hot?

So I am trying to figure this out, you went from an Afton, to a new P43, then to a used P61, and you see no difference in heat? Also figure in this has been an early winter in most of the country, don't know about your area.

I always use Room Temp, igniter disabled. When it's above 25 degrees (high daytime temp), I'll run it for a couple hours in the morning, then shut it off. Then we might run it for a couple hours in the evening, and then shut it off at bedtime.

If the nighttime low is going to be in the teens or colder, we will run it all night long. During the winter storm last weekend we ran it continuously for something like 3 1/2 days.

Your habits of course will depend on stove location, size of space needing heated, insulation, etc. But I encourage you to try room temp rather than the stove temp settings.