Manual or auto

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster

Burning Hunk
Jan 21, 2012
Sussex County NJ
I run my Harman XXV on room temp manual to try to go easy on the ignitor. I was wondering if I should run on auto and let the stove shut down to try to save some on pellets or if is better to run on manual and use more pellets saving the ignitor. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Chuck

After reading serveral threads on this site, I decided to run it on Manual when I run it on Room Temp. It's less wear and tear on the ignitor and saves on electricity.

chuckster said:
I run my Harman XXV on room temp manual to try to go easy on the ignitor. I was wondering if I should run on auto and let the stove shut down to try to save some on pellets or if is better to run on manual and use more pellets saving the ignitor. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Chuck

I think the responses you get will probably be split right down the middle on that question. During the shoulder seasons, I choose to run mine on Room Temp Auto. There is an extremely noticeable difference in the "pellets used" department for me. An ignitor is $100. Over the course of the burning season, I save more than that in the reduced use of pellets. JMHO and you'll get more.......

Harman Lover 007 said:
chuckster said:
Chuck

I think the responses you get will probably be split right down the middle on that question. During the shoulder seasons, I choose to run mine on Room Temp Auto. There is an extremely noticeable difference in the "pellets used" department for me. An ignitor is $100. Over the course of the burning season, I save more than that in the reduced use of pellets. JMHO and you'll get more.......

Hmmm good point!

I'm going to withhold judgement on this on until my spring cleaning. I don't run on auto, ever. I will shut the stove off during the day during shoulder seasons and fire up as necessary at night. Stove is in the basement living area, so it's not mandatory that the lower level is always heated. I'll burn just over 2 tons this winter (very mild) and I don't plan to clean my exhaust until spring. I only have 8 feet of pipe and it's 4 inch, so I shouldn't have an issue with lack of cleaning. In the spring I'll look at the buildup of ash and see if its acceptable. If so, I won't change to auto anytime soon.

To me, it just doesn't make sense to let the stove cool during the heating season, even if the weather is mild. Keeping the stove warm and dribbling a few BTU in the room while the stove is in maintenance burn doesn't seem like a waste. BTU is BTU. Only possible argument is the fact that the stove might burn less efficiently on low than medium or high. Maybe, maybe not.

Furnaces used to be on/off, now there's 2 stage and variable speed systems to keep trickling heat into the living area as it's lost. This prevents the system from cooling resulting in lost efficiency.

Based on my math, 4 bucks a bag for pellets, .75 lb feed rate on maintenance/idle would require 1333 hours of idle time to consume enough pellets to eat up a 100 buck igniter. That's 55 days of idling continuously. I think it would take at least 2 seasons or more to break even, not counting the 70 ish watts of additional energy consumed during each start up. So, 14 starts would consume 1 kW at your local rate.

How fun would it be to build a 500 square foot room inside a climate controlled cold storage facility. Then we could really test all of our different operational methods and hypotheses under strict process control. Hmm, Federal Grant???

Reactions: Willp61 and Hoot23
How often does an ignitor let go? I have a Harman Accentra, what is the ignitor life expectancy and what are some tell-tale signs that it's giving out?

I typically run in Room Temp/Auto and my stove's ignitor goes on and off about 10-18 times per day depending on the outside temp. It's been about one year with this ignitor and still starts fast-approximately 3 minutes from cold stove to flame. I vacuum the ignitor compartment weekly as I think this is key to ignitor life. FWIW my dealer says I should get 3-4 years of life from my ignitor running it this way. Time will tell but so far I use my ignitor heavily and all seems well. (knock on wood) :)

My ignitor went the end of my 2nd burn season so the last few years i've been on manual. Been a much better burn for me the last 2 . So i don't think i'll be replacing the ignitor anytime soon. I've come to enjoy tinkering with my stove. Just my opinion & experience

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll stay with room temp manual. I just can't seem to like the idea of the ignitor going on and off all the time.
Chuck

movemaine said:
How often does an ignitor let go? I have a Harman Accentra, what is the ignitor life expectancy and what are some tell-tale signs that it's giving out?

in my experience, they dont get weak, they just fail......it will work fine, then one day, it just wont work.......never really have seen an ignitor that sometimes worked, other than when the ignitor gets dirty........basically, they work till they fail......might be 6 months, might be 10 years, might be never.......FWIW, the newest series of ignitors seem to be very reliable......

The last time my ignitor failed, I could tell that it was on the edge because more pellets built up in the burn pot before they caught fire. Then one day it just failed. YMMV. I recall that when I looked for a new one, they were rated for 3000-5000 lights life expectancy. Or something like that. It was a while back.

Lousyweather said:
movemaine said:

in my experience, they dont get weak, they just fail......it will work fine, then one day, it just wont work.......never really have seen an ignitor that sometimes worked, other than when the ignitor gets dirty........basically, they work till they fail......might be 6 months, might be 10 years, might be never.......FWIW, the newest series of ignitors seem to be very reliable......

Do you know when the "new" series started?

Do you guys think it's worth having an extra ignitor just in case it fails? Is it difficult to replace?

Most likely the dealer has them in stock. You can get by the night or weekend it takes to get the new one from the dealer with a manual light. But if money isn't tight, Sure why not.

Harman Lover 007 said:
Lousyweather said:
movemaine said:

Do you know when the "new" series started?

not specifically, but about two years ago

MacP said:
Do you guys think it's worth having an extra ignitor just in case it fails? Is it difficult to replace?

no.....easy enough to come by....I have to imagine almost any Harman dealer keeps them

This is certainly a timely topic for me.
My accentra insert was installed last February. I normally run it in Room Temp/Auto mode 24x7.
Since I am pushing the limits and attempting to heat our 3000 sq ft home,
the accentra never quite gets to the point where it shuts down while in Auto mode.
If the outside temperature is above 30, the flame will ramp down on occasion and if the temperature is below 30, the flame will be full bore.
At the end of March last year, the fuse blew and it turned out to be the igniter.
Just last week, we awoke to a cold house and the fuse blew again. I replaced the fuse and switched it to manual and everything worked fine.
I have the accentra plugged into an outlet on a dedicated line with a Belkin MasterCube surge protector.

Yesterday, our dealer's tech serviced the unit and verified that it was the igniter that failed and replaced it.
The bad news is that he couldn't determine why another igniter failed again.
He checked and tested all of the wires, connections and ran the diagnostic tool and all was fine.

I find it hard to believe that it is just a coincidence that two igniters would blow out the fuse in less than a year
when we don't use the igniter that much.

Does anyone have any theories?

Pat_M said:
This is certainly a timely topic for me.
My accentra insert was installed last February. I normally run it in Room Temp/Auto mode 24x7.
Since I am pushing the limits and attempting to heat our 3000 sq ft home,
the accentra never quite gets to the point where it shuts down while in Auto mode.
If the outside temperature is above 30, the flame will ramp down on occasion and if the temperature is below 30, the flame will be full bore.
At the end of March last year, the fuse blew and it turned out to be the igniter.
Just last week, we awoke to a cold house and the fuse blew again. I replaced the fuse and switched it to manual and everything worked fine.
I have the accentra plugged into an outlet on a dedicated line with a Belkin MasterCube surge protector.

Yesterday, our dealer's tech serviced the unit and verified that it was the igniter that failed and replaced it.
The bad news is that he couldn't determine why another igniter failed again.
He checked and tested all of the wires, connections and ran the diagnostic tool and all was fine.

I find it hard to believe that it is just a coincidence that two igniters would blow out the fuse in less than a year
when we don't use the igniter that much.

Does anyone have any theories?

Maybe the dealer had an old stock igniter on hand when he swapped yours out. If I remember correctly the old igniters with the issue had a different fin count. I don't remember the exact details, Like fin count. But the new version has been much more dependable from what I understand.

I believe the fin count increased from 13 to 15 but not positive.

I am going to order a replacement for mine before spring and just keep it around. I am going to have replacement door/window seals and an igniter. I have to get a new combustion fan anyway, as it has gotten real loud (probably a bad bearing)

j-takeman said:
Maybe the dealer had an old stock igniter on hand when he swapped yours out. If I remember correctly the old igniters with the issue had a different fin count. I don't remember the exact details, Like fin count. But the new version has been much more dependable from what I understand.

Hopefully, the "new" igniter is new!!

Bad news. I spoke to the dealer this morning and they said that both the failed and new igniter are the newer 15 fin model.
The mystery remains unsolved. :(

We run our P43 on room temp/auto.
We started out stove 1/1/14 @ 3pm, and it's been running ever since.
It's heating 1500 sq ft, and we had 3 days of sub zero temps.
72* during the day, 68-69* at night.
We've burned 14 bags of pellets.
I am super happy, exceeding all my expectations.
On another note, this Harman burns every brand of pellet I've fed it very good.

Reactions: Willp61
If I run in room temp, it's room temp/manual. My stove was installed in Jan. 08 and I am still on the original igniter.
The question I have is, "where do you all place the knob"? On the L or the H OR IN THE MIDDLE between the L & H?

Reactions: newbieinCT
Status
Not open for further replies.