Lovin Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Been busy a couple of weeks now cutting a lot of mostly dead standing air dried locust.Last couple of nights were cold so I cranked up the King.Figured I'd burn a few locust rounds so I split a few of the ones that were real gray and some were black as coal,all were hard as rocks.I checked the MC on the new splits and most were at 14% so I loaded the stove up at 3pm yesterday it's 6pm now and my stovetop is still 400*just shy of. The cat is in the inactive zone but I still have enough coals to crank her which I did,almost a 27 burn house 73*. Almost everything was burned to ash,but enough coals to fire up the next load,in the twilight of my burn I had tiny blue flames that looked like natural gas.My cat did drop into the inactive zone at about the 16 hour mark,don't know if that's normal or means anything. easter cuttin 001.jpgeaster cuttin 001.jpgeaster cuttin 002.jpg The stuff with no bark is what was used.

You need some pallets! ;lol

Nice haul you have there. I've never burned locust but hear everybody raving about it.

Makes me wish we had some of that wood here. I've never burned any but would love to.

Two large splits will last me 6-7 hours I have honey locust as well and that is for 2012-2013 season

Two large splits will last me 6-7 hours I have honey locust as well and that is for 2012-2013 season
Right now I'm in the collecting stage,don't like pallets/anymore,I now make a holder that is made of treated lumber 16 feet long,has rungs like a ladder spaced 14 inches apart,it's16 inches wide works great looks good,brace it underneath with locust blocks 4 inches raises wood to 7 inches off ground.Total cost 21$,I try to space them in between standing trees if possible if not a steel post 6 feet tall on either end,cost 4.50$ I stack the rounds there,till splitting time then the splits will go there,real sturdy setup going 7 feet tall is not a problem.

Right now I'm in the collecting stage,don't like pallets/anymore,I now make a holder that is made of treated lumber 16 feet long,has rungs like a ladder spaced 14 inches apart,it's16 inches wide works great looks good,brace it underneath with locust blocks 4 inches raises wood to 7 inches off ground.Total cost 21$,I try to space them in between standing trees if possible if not a steel post 6 feet tall on either end,cost 4.50$ I stack the rounds there,till splitting time then the splits will go there,real sturdy setup going 7 feet tall is not a problem.

ohlongarm where in ohio are you?

I try to space them in between standing trees if possible
If a storm blows the trees around and the trunks start moving, they can dump your stack...

I'm drooling just lookin at those piles. I love the locust but when you get into a new woods that has a lot of down or standing dead locust it is like a fox in the middle of the hen house.

Reactions: blujacket
I spy some cherry with the locust in the last pic. We find that those two mixed together in a load work really well - like a 2-stage rocket. Nice catch!

Congrats, that pile'll go far!

Stumbled into quite a bit of locust myself this year. I've been saving it for when it's actually cold, but I did play with it enough to really see what everyone raves about. The stacks outside were cut this winter; the stacks in the barn were cut ~20 years ago & stored in a shed-I'm a little afraid of firing up a full load of the dry stuff.
2012-04-11_19-37-52_865.jpg2012-04-11_19-35-57_542.jpg

when you get into a new woods that has a lot of down or standing dead locust it is like a fox in the middle of the hen house.
No kidding. I've had stuff to do around here so I haven't gotten back to the BL for about 4 months. Stuff lying all over the place in there. I can hardly stand it. ;lol
The only thing that might delay it more...I saw some Hedge down that I need to ask a guy about. >>
the stacks in the barn were cut ~20 years ago & stored in a shed
That stuff might even be dry enough for Dennis to burn. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.