low cost thermal storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

barkeater6

Feb 21, 2021
upstate ny
on the cheap..has anyone used a 300 gallon fuel tank for thermal heat storage. Its new, pressure tested to 5psi. I would be taking a risk on the pressure obviously..i was wondering if anyone else took that risk.

A fuel tank is NOT going to replace a pressure rated vessel. It is not designed for pressure.

Reactions: all night moe
on the cheap..has anyone used a 300 gallon fuel tank for thermal heat storage. Its new, pressure tested to 5psi. I would be taking a risk on the pressure obviously..i was wondering if anyone else took that risk.
Is this Barkeater tree service?
Some heat systems use open systems after the boiler. A heat exchanger for the thermal storage tank from the boiler. If this is the case vent the tank to outside, keeping unwanted moisture out of the dwelling.

Is this Barkeater tree service?
Some heat systems use open systems after the boiler. A heat exchanger for the thermal storage tank from the boiler. If this is the case vent the tank to outside, keeping unwanted moisture out of the dwelling.
no, not barkeater tree service! Yes I have seen the open storage systems...it just requires a HE then. great. My tank would go in a outside insulated workshop but good tip on venting it outside. I will have to find some diagrams for those I hate to have to add a circulator to push it through the HE but the cost of 5-800 gallons of storage tanks is insane. thanks so much happy thnksgiving

The tanks rating is really too low for pressurized use. The rating is intended for situations where the fill pipe connection is less than 12 feet above the tank. In theory someone could screw up and overfill the tank to the vent pipe next to the fill pipe exposing the tank to 5 psi. They are made cheap with low corrosion allowance. At one time many wood boilers were installed with heating oil tanks with open systems. With an open system they rotted out in few years flooding the basement with rusty water. Warm water and lots of oxygen really speeds up corrosion big time.

BTW 300 gallons is really small for a wood boiler, I have 550 gallons and its borderline for a 95,000 btu boiler. The one exception is if you have low supply temps, either radiant or low temp radiators. in that case you can get up to double the effective capacity in the tank due to the lower supply temp.

I have seen at a couple of places standard heating oil tanks made out of stainless which would cure the corrosion issue but not the pressure issue. I think an open system with elevated vent might work but that means every wetted component needs to be corrosion resistant unless its isolated by a heat exchanger, bronze circulator pumps are not cheap.

I have an American Solar Technics vented tank with heat exchanger. It takes up a bit less room as it sits on the floor and is square. They arent designed for anything to be put on top of the covers but I rigged some removable shelves on top of it that hang from the ceiling while still allowing me access to the tank if I need to.

The tanks rating is really too low for pressurized use. The rating is intended for situations where the fill pipe connection is less than 12 feet above the tank. In theory someone could screw up and overfill the tank to the vent pipe next to the fill pipe exposing the tank to 5 psi. They are made cheap with low corrosion allowance. At one time many wood boilers were installed with heating oil tanks with open systems. With an open system they rotted out in few years flooding the basement with rusty water. Warm water and lots of oxygen really speeds up corrosion big time.

BTW 300 gallons is really small for a wood boiler, I have 550 gallons and its borderline for a 95,000 btu boiler. The one exception is if you have low supply temps, either radiant or low temp radiators. in that case you can get up to double the effective capacity in the tank due to the lower supply temp.

I have seen at a couple of places standard heating oil tanks made out of stainless which would cure the corrosion issue but not the pressure issue. I think an open system with elevated vent might work but that means every wetted component needs to be corrosion resistant unless its isolated by a heat exchanger, bronze circulator pumps are not cheap.

I have an American Solar Technics vented tank with heat exchanger. It takes up a bit less room as it sits on the floor and is square. They arent designed for anything to be put on top of the covers but I rigged some removable shelves on top of it that hang from the ceiling while still allowing me access to the tank if I need to.
yes if i was to use the fuel tank I would link two together. But I get the warm water and corrosion issues. I have room issues so the narrow width of the fuel tanks was a postive. thanks for this input I will look at American Solar techincs

Check your scrap yards for a old pressure tank
A local guy used new fuel tanks here,he ended up strapping them together with oak beams to hold the sides from bulging.After about 15 years they rotted through

Air compressor tanks,farm use tanks ,old propane tanks
Yep all those too.
Old LP tanks are getting scarce ...... I've been looking for a 120gal/420lb tank for over a year.

Reactions: barkeater6
Yep all those too.
Old LP tanks are getting scarce ...... I've been looking for a 120gal/420lb tank for over a year.
You just need to dig harder they are out there.
I got 4 500# tanks from the propane company as they were being scrapped.
The scrap yard had dozens in their yard when i was there last.
I also picked up 5 tanks from the municipal government that were in the water system to bad you aren't closer,i have 9 different pressure tanks in my yard now.

Reactions: barkeater6
to bad you aren't closer,i have 9 different pressure tanks in my yard now.
We're on the same planet....LOL

I'm looking for the 420lb verticle LP tank. I'm looking to build my own OWB gasifier. The tank size is perfect for me for the primary chamber.

You just need to dig harder they are out there.
I got 4 500# tanks from the propane company as they were being scrapped.
The scrap yard had dozens in their yard when i was there last.
I also picked up 5 tanks from the municipal government that were in the water system to bad you aren't closer,i have 9 different pressure tanks in my yard now.
go big or go home. !

check nolts propane in lancaster co pa for used lp tanks. usually a good supply.
Thanks for the tip! It's a long haul from here, so I'll keep that noted.
When I'm ready to build I'll give them a shout if I'm still looking.

Thanks for the tip! It's a long haul from here, so I'll keep that noted.
When I'm ready to build I'll give them a shout if I'm still looking.
Put a wanted add on craigslist,you never know what people have in their yards to get rid of.