Low heat output- could it be the heat setting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 24, 2016
new york
Happy New year and a warm winter's day to all pellet experts. Just installed my first breckwell Sp8500. in a house of 2800 square ft the heat output is low. temp in house if barely getting up to 60 degrees. I have the heat range at 2 and the mode on manual. I think I have the draft fan at 4 . I notice that not all the AC ducts are heating- whats up with that? also I need a warmer house. should I set the heat range to 3 or 4? doesn't that use more pellets at that level... how is that supposed to work? This is only my second full day of using the furnace and I used 3 bags of pellets at a heat setting of 4 on the first day so I adjusted it down. House wasn't an warmer then. What is your best recommended settings for optimal heating of say 66-68 degrees. thanks.

If you want more heat, you have to burn more pellets. Simple physics. Try a higher heat range.

Reactions: cecil_archer
I agree with heat seeker ... you need to add more fuel for more heat. What were you using for heat before? Have you done the math on how many BTUs are needed to achieve the temps you want? From the manual on burn rate: 5.0 - 13.0 lbs./hr. Per 24 hours x 5 = 120 lbs or 3 bags;) What were you using for heat prior to this?

Do you have a cold air return system? You have to encourage that convection loop...

Watch land air mechanical videos and others on you tube. I have the same problem you have with a ussc 8500 which I've heard is the same stove

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

USSC bought Breckwell in 2011 so likely the same stove just rebadged. I would imagine that the USSC Troubleshooting sticky on the first page of the Pellet Mill might be of help to fine tune performance (tech manual for USSC 8500 pdf). Important part is to make written note of changes as you go and allow at least a 1/2 to 1 hour for change to be noticeable. If you get too far off track you can go back to an earlier change based on written notes.

keep us posted.

Edit: Just noticed the OP was from a year ago:)

New to the site just installed my uss 8500 and having the same issue it keeps the house at 63 on setting 3 I watched the videos on YouTube but very tough to program it to your home any suggestions??

How big is the house? Stove location? OAK? More pellets = more heat. Raise the heat setting adjust the draft fan untill you get a nice busy bright yellow flame. Your manual has all the info you need to set this up.

How big is the house? Stove location? OAK? More pellets = more heat. Raise the heat setting adjust the draft fan untill you get a nice busy bright yellow flame. Your manual has all the info you need to set this up.
House is 2300 sf I cranked it up to 5 house is at 68 but it’s 50 outside. I’m located in ma stove is in the basement

Basement pretty warm? Is the stove plumbed into the heat ducts in the house? Your floor plan will affect the heat too. Also you gotta remember your heating everthing in the house also. It could take a day to get everything(including the contents) in the house up to temp. You’ve allready gone up 5::Fsince your original post 09:38 ;)

Depending on your ducting runs you may find it help full to put a booster fan inline as well. This should help get heat to the areas that are not getting heat. Also playing with your room fan may take some time. To fast and it will cool the air to much before it reaches all areas to low and the heat will not reach all areas. Did it get installed with a cold air return system as the manual suggests? This will help pull heat throughout the house

Depending on your ducting runs you may find it help full to put a booster fan inline as well. This should help get heat to the areas that are not getting heat. Also playing with your room fan may take some time. To fast and it will cool the air to much before it reaches all areas to low and the heat will not reach all areas. Did it get installed with a cold air return system as the manual suggests? This will help pull heat throughout the house
Yes I installed it with return air like recommended, wouldn’t an in-line fan do the same as running my heat on circulate?

Yes I installed it with return air like recommended, wouldn’t an in-line fan do the same as running my heat on circulate?
I have yet to really figure my used 8500 out either and it's been a year, really frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have yet to really figure my used 8500 out either and it's been a year, really frustrating.

I have a smaller house and on level 2 it burns 2 bags a day and it's not really that warm in the house. On manual mode I haven't had luck at all seems your draft fan runs at 100% so that's to much draft for me. I'm no closer to getting my stove to burn correctly since it was installed.

I have a smaller house and on level 2 it burns 2 bags a day and it's not really that warm in the house. On manual mode I haven't had luck at all seems your draft fan runs at 100% so that's to much draft for me. I'm no closer to getting my stove to burn correctly since it was installed.

I’m having the same issue, I turned the feed rate to 4 and 8 have it on 4 and it still won’t keep my house at 66. Installed everything the way it’s recommended.

I would be happy if 2 bags a day made it toasty in my house but it doesn't. My house is a ranch with 896 feet of living space with a basement. I get so frustrated I don't burn my stove, I feel I'm just wasting pellets. I think one day soon I'll get it. Thought about selling it but don't want to give someone else the same problems.

lets go back to figuring this out if we can. what are the configurations of your exhaust vents? size of pipe? liner? how long? how many 90 elbows? any 45's?

I would be happy if 2 bags a day made it toasty in my house but it doesn't. My house is a ranch with 896 feet of living space with a basement. I get so frustrated I don't burn my stove, I feel I'm just wasting pellets. I think one day soon I'll get it. Thought about selling it but don't want to give someone else the same problems.

Gezzz.... don't blame u for getting frustrated. I'm in a old drafty modular home. Usually my stove is on 2 I get well over 30 hours per bag...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Gezzz.... don't blame u for getting frustrated. I'm in a old drafty modular home. Usually my stove is on 2 I get well over 30 hours per bag...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
I don't want to hijack the thread from mass Nick just here to see if I can learn anything. Sorry not about me