Lower ash pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I burned a ton of NEWP last season. I was happy, very happy, to put the 50th empty bag into the garbage. If you have ever tried Green Supremes, you have tried NEWP. Same pellets, different bag.

I just finished 6-bag runs on 3 pellets. I cleaned the stove, ran 6 bags through, then ran these three brands and measured the ash bin. My stove accumulates stuff in the top half (the reason for the "pre run of 6 bags") then pretty much stops accumulating, and it's not really bad in the vent. It takes me a bag or two to get each dialed in so going to 6 bags (3 days) seemed important for my measurements. I then dumped the ash box into a gallon jug, marked the spot and used water to measure:

- Green Supreme - 160 fluid oz of ash (about 1.25 gallons)
heat range 3, feed -1, 385 degF on my heat exchanger
- last years' Okanagan Platinum - 52 fluid oz of ash
heat range 3, feed -2, 380 degF on my heat exchanger
- Cubex, 58 fluid oz of ash
heat range 3, feed -2, 390 degF on my heat exchanger

Funny things:
- OK Platinums run pretty close to 24hrs on 2 bags
- GS runs a little longer BUT
- Cubex will not make 24hrs on 2 bags, more like 22 BUT

BUT - the Cubex and the GS's appeared to put my stove into overtemp on the heat exchanger a few times, at least that's what it seemed like. At first (with the GS/NEWPs) I thought it had plugged up the vacuum port there was so much more ash. But once I thought I heard a snap disk click and then it was feeding again - and it happened again with the Cubex's (which were really quite hot).

I did not start this when I was burning this years' OK Platinums but wish I had. I think they were probably closer to 64-72 oz of ash. If anyone has a 6-pack of this years Platinums and wants to trade for last years "seemed much cleaner to me" I'd be happy to swap and add the data. For that matter I'd swap for a 6-pack of FSUs too. PM me if that's of interest to anyone, I'm near Nashua NH and Lowell MA.

In conclusion, now I see what some of you have said about NEWPs going for the big Ash...

Cheers,
- Jeff

Last edited:
I just got done burning the last of 7 tons of stove chows. Great heat but as expected very ashy. Looking for something a bit cleaner. Want to stay under 300 per ton. Any recommendations?
Don't know about NJ TSC but NY TSC is still getting Pro Pellets. Here in MD we got a shipment and they blew out of there. I had never burned them so only bought 5 bags and of course when I went back they were all gone.My findings were minimal ash, no fire pot buildup/residue, low fines and great heat output! Might want to see if there are any near you and try them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.