Lowe's Iris Smart Phone WiFi Camera Comcast Connection Woes - Finally Fixed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
These Systems are always being updated and improved and like it or not it is good to be current and solve these atrocious problems!
So here is my story.
I have had a home network ever since I purchased the NAT software that is Network Address Translation software with a Microsoft NT server with 2 network cards!!!
Anyway, I just removed a Cisco 4 port Ethernet & WiFi router that died and another 4 port switch and replaced them with a nice Net Gear 16 port Ethernet switch to service my new workshop with 2 cat 45 outlets. I believe in wires in this make shif wireless world until wireless can prove it's better!!
So then I changed the bridging in the newer all in one Comcast router modem to use it's WiFi router and that is when my troubles began!
It turns out that the Comcast Arris router model TG862G/CT (see pic 1) had a bad memory and could not remember the WiFi name of the Iris cameras! Therefor soon after the Iris Cameras were disconnected from the Ethernet wire they conked out and the camera setup showed the camer WiFi name was gone! This did not happen with my Cisco Router and I knew the fault must be in the Comcast Arris WiFi router! So I soon learned that there is a new Dual Band Comcast Arris router model TG1682G after escalating my issue from Comcast Phillipeans in Asia to Jamaica in the Caribbean! See Pic 2 new Comcast router.
I also purchased a new Iris indoor/outdoor camera with 720 HD resolution but could not work because my original package of 100 Mbps download and a measly 5 Mbps upload speed could not cut the mustard and the camera just failed! So I updated my service with the friendly philipeans level 1 support who found that for $7 dollars less per month, I could get the blast pro package with the 200 Mbps download and more importantly to make the camera work, the 10-12 Mbps upload speed I needed!!
Using Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test I was assured that I was now getting 12 Mbps upload speeds!

All I had to do now was to take my new Iris indoor/outdoor wireless Camera and install it at the best vantage point under the eves on the left front side of my split entry house. Well wireless is a bit of a misnomer since after you setup the new camera with the Micro USB connected into your wired network or what they always tell you is to plug it directly into your Comcast Modem/router that you still need to plug the camera into an AC outlet!
So my helper and I spent all day today (9 am to 6 PM) installing an outside wether proof outdoor outlet with the big bubble cover. However the camera transformer is so large that you must use a duplex outlet box with duplex outlet cover!
So what should I do with the second outlet? Ah ha! I ran a second 14/2 wire to that outlet to a hallway switch to make it a switched outlet for Xmas lights! Also to satisfy the codes these are GFCI tamper proof and WR (Weather Resistant)
Now all I had to do is bolt in the new Iris IPhone Canera and flip the 180 view rotation setting switch, adjust the angle and plug in the transformer to my new Duplex Outside Outlet!
See pics 3-5
Has anyone had any of these issues??

BTW My iPhone 6 Plus does see and use the new 5 GHz WiFi network on the new Dual Band Comcast router and seems a little quicker. However all other of Our WiFi devices still use the slower 2.5 GHz WiFi network! Therefore I use my faster LAN 1 GHz wired network for my printer and other devices whenever possible. I did try switching my printer to WiFi but spoiling the job did take a lot longer!! Just my 2 cents!!!

Summary: New Iris WiFi Cam works with Comcast Dual Band Modem and Blast Pro Internet speed package or above!

P.S. Night vision ( See last pic) not bad. :)
Also with enough ambient lighting goes back to color at night!

Pic 1 - old Comcast modem with bad memory
Pic 2 - New Dual Band Comcast Modem
Pic 3 - New Duplex GFCI Tamper & WR outside outlet under eves mounted to soffit
Pic 4 - Latest Iris Indoor/outdoor camera
Pic 5 - Finally the end result - The view as seen on the iPhone!!!
Pic 6 - Night vision with infrared feature not bad. :)
Pic 7 - shows with car headlights there is enough light to go back to color! Very Nice!

Attachments

• IMG_9531.JPG
    IMG_9531.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_9567.JPG
    IMG_9567.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_9565.JPG
    IMG_9565.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_9563.JPG
    IMG_9563.JPG