LP Storage Tank Fittings - humorous

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
I drained the 1000 gal LP tank to get it ready to move to my new shop. Thought this the ideal time to add a couple of new fittings: 2" fittings on the end, 6" down from the top and 6" up from the bottom. Neighbor is a welder by trade and I asked him if he did pressure tank welding. He didn't answer my question, just asked what I wanted and said he would take a look at the tank. Yesterday morning he came over to look at the tank, along with a welder, hole saw, other tools and he already had bought the fittings. In 1-1/2 hours cut two holes in the end of the tank and welded in the fittings -- beautiful, neat, clean, two weld passes.

So, I asked him if I needed to pressure test the welds. He looked at me and said "No." Then he told me that he does welding at two local nuclear power plants plus a big coal fired power plant. I asked whether that included the piping. He said yes, with steam pressures in excess of 3000 psi. I felt a little like a dummy on the pressure test question.

As he walked out the door, he asked if I planned on hanging around awhile, as there were some sparks from the welding and grinding; said on the job someone always stays for 1/2 hour after the work just to make sure that there is no fire. I gladly hung around, and just took repeated looks at the beauty of those welds.

I will be putting in a post later this summer on the new shop, the boiler and tank move, the new set-up, and of course, a picture of those welds.

Take time today to have a laugh or two.

If he's certified for welding Class VI pressure vessels you are in very very good hands my friend. I would smile too if i was in your shoes. Attaining those certifications is probably the most arduous journey in all of the welding field.

Well I'm jelouse of your shop. I've been trying to put one up, but have been batteling the rain and mud. It stops raining long enough to get almost dry enough to work then it rains more. It's been an extremely wet spring this year in N.W. Ohio. I've got the foundation in and am waiting for dry ground to do the floore. Great advice to take time to laugh. Somtimes we get to busy to enjoy life, but as I've been reminded to much latley that we
never Know then it will be are turn to leave. Good luck with your install.

woodsmaster said:
Well I'm jelouse of your shop. I've been trying to put one up, but have been batteling the rain and mud. It stops raining long enough to get almost dry enough to work then it rains more. It's been an extremely wet spring this year in N.W. Ohio. I've got the foundation in and am waiting for dry ground to do the floore. Great advice to take time to laugh. Somtimes we get to busy to enjoy life, but as I've been reminded to much latley that we

The NWS radar showed that you were getting wet again last night in a big way. Tornado warnings all over in SE Michigan. How'd you turn out.

heaterman said:
woodsmaster said:

The NWS radar showed that you were getting wet again last night in a big way. Tornado warnings all over in SE Michigan. How'd you turn out.

It was very windy here and I'm guessing we got around a half inch of rain. Need to get a new rain gauge. No limbs down in the yard and I have a lot of trees.

Waiting around is a very good idea. My good friend and local welder got distracted by a client and went to lunch. Lost his whole shop to a fire. This happened about 2 months ago. I just finished the rebuild estimate for him and the Insurance Co. Close to $250,000.00
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.