Lytherm.....Gasket Material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdbell

Feb 21, 2010
South Shore - MA
Has anyone ever cut their own gaskets. Wouldn't it be a big cost savings versus buying. Does anyone know where there product can be purchased?......Just wondering....

I have a Greenfire 55 insert...

Gaskets can be made by yourself if you have the time, materials and right tools to do so. My experience is you won't save much if anything by doing it yourself and you usually don't end up with a great looking end product. To do it right you need very sharp sizzors and sharp hole punches. The hole punches are usually the problem. Most people that make their own do so because they need a gasket right now and cain't wait to get to the store or have one shipped to them.

Give it a try and see what you come up with.

Went to my local oil burner supply place in Brockton called south shore supply and bought two sheets of the stuff they use to line an oil burner. Have used it for two years now and it works great and I get six to eight burn pot gaskets and six to eight exhust fan gaskets from two sheets. Cost about 16 bucks per sheet if I remember correctly. I used the outline of the old gasket and made cardboard templates with an exacto knife.

Reactions: CozyStoveLovers
This is the first season I decided to do the DIY gasket thing, ran some test burns with the gaskets and found no problems/difference. I used to pay $15.00 a gasket I believe - ordered a sheet of automotive high-temp ceramic gasket material from Amazon recently and was able to make 4 gaskets - I think I paid around $20.00 bucks?

It did take time to trace & cut and this particular material was pretty tough, but if you can handle an exacto knife and want to save some $$$ I'd recommend at least trying it out and see if it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.