M55 insert augur turning with hopper lid open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Osk

Feb 11, 2022
NY
This started happening yesterday with my m55 insert. I had the hopper lid open and started it up. Normally, once I close the lid, the augur and motor starts loudly. This time, it started right when I pressed it the ON button. It didn’t matter if the lid was opened or closed - the pellets were always falling. Anyone know why?

Did it operate normally except that it ran even with the lid open? If so, it’s possible the hopper switch is not opening when the lid is open. The first thing to check is that switch circuit. If you have the manual, the schematic is in there and it tells you which color wire is for which circuit. You can use a meter to probe the wires AT THE PLUG ON THE CONTROL BOARD to see if the lid switch is operating correctly. The lid switch and overtemp circuit are the 2 orange wires. With the lid closed, the wires should show a short between them (almost zero ohms) with the lid open, they should NOT be connected together (infinite ohms).

make sure you totally remove AC power from the stove before you try and probe any wires.

Ken

Reactions: DevinM88
Correct . It is operating normally except it is running with the lid open. If it is an issue with the hopper switch, how would I go about fixing it?

First, find out what the issue ( Is the switch working )
Then we plan a repair (switch, wiring, board)

Reactions: DevinM88
What he said! It’s a much better idea to check things out and find the problem than to just start ripping into things that may or may not be the problem. These stoves aren’t very complicated. Just diagnose it methodically and you should be able to find the problem quickly.

Ken

I was waiting for my service rails to be delivered to check but it seems to be working again. I just cleaned the glass. Not sure what happened, but that seems to have fixed it. The glass was pretty dirty which I neglected for a couple days. Maybe coincidence? Thank you both for the help though!