M55C FPI + Okanagans = Positive results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradH70

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2011
South West NH
DISCLAIMER - I have only been burning pellets for 3 weeks now so all my findings may not be worth much at this time.

I installed the M55C FPI pellet stove on March 12th (after many months of research and reading many hours worth of Hearth.com posts). Temperatures have been colder then normal for this time of year - 30's in the day, teens to 20's at night.

I purchased 2 tons of NEWP with the stove based on good reviews from Hearth.com and that the dealer was also burning these in the M55C FPI used as the primary heat for the store.

The first week was spent trying to tune the stove to get a better flame and less clinkers and ash build up. I was having to clean the burn pot and empty the ash pan every 3 days minimum. I wasn't sure now if I should starting to get disappointed with stove or pellets. After talking to some other folks that use pellet stoves, they have also had similar issues with clinkers and ash build up when using NEWP.

A local hardware store carries Okanagans and Bearfoots so I bought 3 bags of each this past Thursday. Friday I let the NEWP burn down as much as possible before thoroughly cleaning the stove and adding the Okanagans for the first test.

Stove settings:
Filtrete programmable t-stat set to regulate to 70 deg with a 1.5 deg swing.
HIGH/LOW mode with HIGH mode at heat level 3.
Magnehelic pressure is 0.16 - 0.17
Auger trim setting - 3
Combustion air setting - 3

I took air temperature readings at the front of the exhaust ports and the results are this:
Before cleaning with NEWP:
at heat level 1 - 190 deg max
at heat level 3 - 312 deg max

After cleaning with NEWP:
at heat level 1 - 198 deg max
at heat level 3 - 394 deg max

After cleaning with Okanagans
at heat level 1 - 202 deg max
at heat level 3 - 398 deg max

So it doesn't seem that there is much difference in temperature between the two pellets. The biggest difference between the NEWP and Okanagans to this point is the ash that has been produced. The burn pot has remained nice and clean and open for air flow since the Okanagans have started to enter the burn pot. The glass has a considerably less ash build up on it as well.

I will be giving the stove another good cleaning tonight and adding the Bearfoots for the next round of tests before the temps start to get warmer mid week. I will post another report on the Bearfoots.

How did the bear foots compare?

Hi Millsk,

I'm going to have to go back and look at my notes. I know that I recorded the data, but it looks like I forgott to follow up with the results.

If I can find my notes, I will post them to this thread.

The one negative that I do remeber about the Bear Foots was that they are very long and tend to get caught in the auger. When this happens, there is a loud clunk from the stove as the auger cuts the pellet as it is turning. I'm not sure if this could have a long term negative effect on the reliability of the auger, but I'm not willing to take a chance. I'm going to be burning primarily bear foots this season. I have a little over a ton of NEWP that I will use during the shoulder seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.