Magnificent Windsor potbelly wood stove - identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rogue1313

May 20, 2018
san diego, ca
Hello-

New to the forum, new to wood burning stoves period.....so please forgive me for my ignorance. So here's my situation.....I moved into a new place & it has a Magnificent Windsor potbelly wood stove.

First off, I'm just trying to figure out the year, make, and model. Why?....I'm looking for a replacement part & I have no idea where to start or what it's called.

The part goes on the outside, at the top of the stove, just below the stovepipe....it screws into place, so it's like a removable plate.

The problem is that it's cracked. The other problem is that the tabs that the plate screws into appear to be broken off too. I realize that that's probably going to render the part useless, but I thought maybe if I found a new part, there'd be some way I could rig it up....wishful thinking, I know.

Anyway, if anyone can help out with this situation, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
00002IMG_00002_BURST20180520115234_COVER.jpg 00007IMG_00007_BURST20180520115246_COVER.jpg IMG_20180520_115258.jpg IMG_20180520_115309.jpg IMG_20180520_115547.jpg IMG_20180520_115603.jpg IMG_20180520_115626.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Not sure of it's age but I would guess 1910-1930 based on the style. The odds of finding a replacement part are slim. A new one may need to be cast, but without the mounting tabs, it could be all for naught. This part is in a critical location that gets very hot. It must fit and seal well.

Is the hearth in the picture just for show? This stove needs 36" from combustibles, which probably are the studs in the wall. The stone does not reduce this clearance.

Welcome. Not sure of it's age but I would guess 1910-1930 based on the style. The odds of finding a replacement part are slim. A new one may need to be cast, but without the mounting tabs, it could be all for naught. This part is in a critical location that gets very hot. It must fit and seal well.

Is the hearth in the picture just for show? This stove needs 36" from combustibles, which probably are the studs in the wall. The stone does not reduce this clearance.

Thanks.....yeah I figured pursuing this would be in vain. Well, I guess it's for show now...ha!

I'm renting the place and just moved in....the owner told me that she thinks the person before me used it & there is ash in the catch basin, so I guess it was being used.

All I can think is that at some point the plate cracked & broke while the previous tenant was using it. How hot would it have to be run to crack the plate?....pretty hot I would imagine. Anyway, I'd also guess that when the plate cracked, the previous tenant tried to remove it and broke the tabs....and never told anyone.

Well, I guess I'll let the owner know that she's got a giant, heavy, useless piece of decorative art now. Too bad. I'll tell ya though, I'm glad I took a closer look before I tried to fire it up! It was funny.....I opened the door, looked inside, and saw a huge hole of light....I was like, wait a second, that's not right.

Well, thanks anyway....appreciate it.

On that small hearth and with those low clearances it wasn't legal anyway.