Magnum 7500 - Draft issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jonnieboy

Jan 18, 2019
Here
Hello,

I have a magnum 7500 that I am struggling with getting to burn well. I am trying to heat a house that I am remodeling, with very little insulation, so I could understand if it doesn't heat it 70, but it barely makes a difference. The poblem is, the fire is too small, and it looks like there is too much draft... if that is possible? The fuel level in the pot is way too low and the fire is not big enough. It is very "active" and I think that is why the pot is so low. It is almost like a blow torch. This is with the draft closed all the way. I have tried all postions, and while they do change the flame, they are all too much.

I found out tonight that if I open the ash cleanout slides a couple inches, that the pot will build back up to a nice level after 10 min or so, and the flame will mellow out a little. Obviously I can't leave it like that if I am not sitting there watching it, but I don't know what to do to get it to burn like that with the slides closed. I do hear quite a sucking/hissing sound around those slides when closed. Wouldn't a leak cause a lazy fire? There are not supposed to be seals around those anyways.. to the best of my knowledge.

I haven't experienced anythng like this with my other american harvest stoves, but I know that the fire does not look like it is supposed to.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the draft choked back down? Or maybe I am way off and it is something else? Any info is appreciated.

Well the ash slide being pulled out a couple inches allowed it to burn all day, but this morning it was full of fly ash and about to overflow the pot. Not sure where to go now. Need something in the middle.

Well the ash slide being pulled out a couple inches allowed it to burn all day, but this morning it was full of fly ash and about to overflow the pot. Not sure where to go now. Need something in the middle.

Does the 7500 have the damper on the back where the fresh air comes in? If so then make sure that when you close it down that the damper is really closing. My baby Magnum had a cast damper and they go together like a wood stove one, so they can slip out of position. Now if the 7500 has the damper on the side that you pull open and push to close then you can take that apart and you can trim it back some. They have a cut away on one corner so cut the flat edge back. Hope this helps. On another note both the 6500's and 7500's did not have the greatest heat exchangers so you might wany to wire brush off the tubes inside the stove and look in there with a bright flash lite and look for pin hole. Hoping that is not your problem.

What setting do you have the stove on? Damper on the left side should turn clockwise/counter clockwise to open and close. If you have the damper closed and still have to much draft turn heat selection up. Is the stove on a thermostat?

That isn't what I wanted to hear about the heat exchangers not being so good. Is there anyway to check if they have a pin hole? I will try to wire brush them.

The damper is on the left side. I did look inside it to make sure I was turning it the correct direction and it is moving open and closed fine. The fully closed position s still too much. I have tried heat levels 2 3 and 4. I have also used the t stat and without the t stat (jumper re installed). Same result.