Magnum Baby blowing cold air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ArynHooker

Jan 7, 2017
La Crosse, WI
Hello folks. New member here. Thanks for always providing good info about home heating solutions.
We recently purchased a used Magnum Baby Countryside pellet stove for use in my garage. For the life of me a can't get it to provide any heat. It seems like there's good flame and the venting is installed correctly but the fan forced air is lukewarm at best.
I initially didn't connect the oak and just drew garage floor air but in effort to try anything to help I later connected it, which actually made the air cold.
Any suggestions? I've tried different types of wood pellets and even corn. I think I've cleaned it pretty darn well with an air compressor and blowy nozzle. I really don't know what else to do.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

From what I remember of this stove is the passage in the double wall gets a plug and no real way to get to it properly. PPD. The cure was to drill a couple holes so you could get a wire probe into the upper back and get it out and blow it out an cap the holes for latter use.
Now you know the reason for its resale:( I see these stove for sale by the dozen in MN.
I would try and use a dead blow hammer to the back of the stove to see if you can knock loose the offending blockage
Welcome, sorry for your poor introduction to the pellet stove world

Reactions: ArynHooker
Bought a used baby countryside stove about 4 years ago. After a very in depth cleaning of the horseshoe area behind the back wall, closed off half of the air wash for the glass window, and welded shut most of the holes in the burn pot. My stove has worked flawlessly. Never had to use it above 3 heat level.

Thank you both for your input. I was afraid a deeper clean liked what's suggested is the answer. I'll get to it first thing tomorrow.

Hello folks. New member here. Thanks for always providing good info about home heating solutions.
We recently purchased a used Magnum Baby Countryside pellet stove for use in my garage. For the life of me a can't get it to provide any heat. It seems like there's good flame and the venting is installed correctly but the fan forced air is lukewarm at best.
I initially didn't connect the oak and just drew garage floor air but in effort to try anything to help I later connected it, which actually made the air cold.
Any suggestions? I've tried different types of wood pellets and even corn. I think I've cleaned it pretty darn well with an air compressor and blowy nozzle. I really don't know what else to do.

I can tell you some more about your Baby. If the seal at the bottom of the auger goes out you can expect major issues with the pellet fines getting sucked into the room air fan and burned in the heat exchanger tubes. Makes a hell of a mess in the house/ black soot everywhere. In the dark you can see sparkles coming out! On the tube where the pellets corn come out, at the bottom feel around to see if there is a lip on the bottom, some had it some don't that needs to be cleaned up with a die grinder as pellet will get caught right there and back up. As to drilling the hole. on the left or right side looking from the front of the stove on both sides of the rear of the fire box there is a sq channel that runs up to the top and then across, you need to get a measurement from that tube to the front plate of the stove and then add 5/8 inch then take that measurement to the outside of the stove and drill the 3/8 hole so that you hit the cross of the horseshoe. This allows you to get in to that area either with a air tube blast or a small vacuum hose. I used a bolt with some red rtv to seal the hole till next time.

Also great info Watcher1! I have just used a blowy nozzle up from the bottom of the square channel and got a lot of black soot out. After that I also blew up around the heat exchanger with similar results. I have yet to mark and drill the hole.

I think I'm figuring that my issues are air intake related. I've been periodically messing with the draft and oak and I atom don't think it's burning as efficiently as it should.
The flame lies to dance around the holes in the burn pot, almost like there's too much air coming in, even with the draft nearly completely closed.

That can do it as your blowing the heat right by the exchangers. raftm closed off some of his burn pot holes. I would before making a permanent change to the holes try plugging them with a few nails to try. Simple, fast and easy that way