Magnum Baby Countryside--Auger stops working after fan turns on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleqq

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2009
South Central IN
Hello,

My stove will start fine and the auger will be working, but as soon as the fan/blower turns on the auger stops. We had a technician come look at it and he replaced the control panel, but that did not help. We've cleaned everything including the exhaust and intake. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Aaron

doubleqq said:
Hello,

My stove will start fine and the auger will be working, but as soon as the fan/blower turns on the auger stops. We had a technician come look at it and he replaced the control panel, but that did not help. We've cleaned everything including the exhaust and intake. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Aaron

Welcome Aaron,

Can we get a bit more info? What is the heat setting on the stove while you are starting it?

Glad you joined us here, Hope we can help you.
jay

doubleqq said:
Hello,

Thanks,
Aaron

So the "technician" simply replaced the board, helped you clean the stove, but after starting the stove up again and seeing the same problem, he just left and didn't try anything else???

doubleqq said:
Hello,

Thanks,
Aaron

Welcome and watch out for low flying pellet pigs.

I have a minor question, when you were cleaning things did you take a look at the vacuum switch and tubing, perhaps leaving things disconnected. I'm wondering if is no longer is seeing a partial vacuum inside the firebox ... funny a fan would kick on and stop the auger. Whenever I've had a convection fan shut off after having turned on it is shortly followed by the stove overheating etc.... which kills the auger.

SmokeyTheBear said:
doubleqq said:
Hello,

Thanks,
Aaron

Welcome and watch out for low flying pellet pigs.

I have a minor question, when you were cleaning things did you take a look at the vacuum switch and tubing, perhaps leaving things disconnected. I'm wondering if is no longer is seeing a partial vacuum inside the firebox ... funny a fan would kick on and stop the auger. Whenever I've had a convection fan shut off after having turned on it is shortly followed by the stove overheating etc.... which kills the auger.

Thats why I asked what his start up setting is. If the thing is maxxed out. Maybe it is having troubles cooling quick enough and hits the hightemp limit.

My next question is there an error flashing on the board at shut down? Should have something. Gotta go download the manual.

Glad the bear and macman are here to assist! We will get it.
jay

Thanks for the replies. We were not here when the repair man was here, so you maybe right as this is the problem we were having when we called him.

The stove is set to Manual and is on the minimum heat setting right now.

Like I said, we'll hit the on button and the fuel will ignite and the auger will be feeding pellets into the hopper, but as soon as the blower kicks on the auger stops. The fan continues until the fire dies, then does its automatic shut-off.

We used the stove for about 3 weeks this season before we started having this problem, so it doesn't seem like a "it's been sitting around for the summer" type of problem.

Thanks for your help!

Aaron

doubleqq said:
Thanks for the replies. We were not here when the repair man was here, so you maybe right as this is the problem we were having when we called him. .....

Aaron, not to be redundant, but again I ask, why did the "technician" leave w/o fixing the problem? He DID start the stove after replacing the board and saw that it was doing the same thing, right? Did he leave you any notes/comments about the results of his work, what he tried, etc? Anything?

The reason I'm asking this is so you don't keep trying the things he already did that didn't fix it.

Just in case, this is from the "troubleshooting" section of your stoves tech Manual:

4. Stove runs for 10 to 15 minutes then shuts down.
-The stove didn’t get up to temperature- Restart stove.

-Air damper not adjusted appropriately- Adjust damper accordingly.

-Inappropriate starter or fuel being used- Use wood pellets are other approved materials to
start the stove.

-The proof of fire snap disk not engaging- replace snap disk, or test wires leading to the snap
disk.

• Self-igniter
MagnuM Baby Countryside (BC-AC & BC-DC), MagnuM Winchester series (WIN-ACP,
WIN-DCP, WIN-ACI & WIN-DCI).
Automatically ignites wood pellets within 3-5 minutes, without the use of fire starter. The igniter will
continue to run for approximately 10 minutes until a fire is established. If the fuel is wet, poor quality
or the hopper not primed, it might take 2-3 cycles for the unit to properly light. Using a little fire
starter will help with this. Do not attempt to light corn.

From looking at the tech bulletin on the safety features on the stove it will likely see start convection fan before it sees proof of fire.

The proof of fire snap disc doesn't appear to be in the exhaust stack but in the convection air path here take a look:

http://www.americanenergysystems.co...045TechBSnapDisks-SafetySensorsLocations1.pdf

Maybe that is why they say to keep restarting until it takes .... funny not .

Now I have a question for the OP.

Aaron are you certain it is the Baby one? I'm getting a queasy feeling about which one you actually have. The Magnum Countryside not the baby one has a sensor setup that would act the way you are experiencing. The Baby Magnum has the proof of fire in the exhaust stack which is where I'd expect it to be. Something isn't adding up for me. Maybe its because I'm feeling the effects from being behind the snowblower earlier. I also don't understand why they would put proof of fire where the convection blower could have an impact. Makes no sense at all.

SmokeyTheBear said:
....The Baby Magnum has the proof of fire in the exhaust stack which is where I'd expect it to be. Something isn't adding up for me......

If it becomes clear that the OP actually has a Baby Countryside, as I remember Webmaster Craig has one of those himself.....maybe a PM to him would help get some more info???

macman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
....The Baby Magnum has the proof of fire in the exhaust stack which is where I'd expect it to be. Something isn't adding up for me......

If it becomes clear that the OP actually has a Baby Countryside, as I remember Webmaster Craig has one of those himself.....maybe a PM to him would help get some more info???

If it turns out to actually be the baby one (it is a distinct possibility that some dirt is covering the sensor and the convection fan starting has nothing to do with things) just removing it and using a piece of cloth to wipe it with could take care of the problem.

Aaron, I have a Baby. Before I add my 2 cents, there is a factory forum that you may want to contact.

http://www.magnumheatforum.com/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=8cad67edad3fddec38bd3b803974df48

Now...On mine, I have a manual ignition. I put a handful of pellets in, squirt the napalm, light it, shut the door and push the start button. The auger starts and the combustion blower comes on. The fire builds until the proof of fire switch closes and then the room fan comes on. At this point, your auger stops feeding. If I had to guess, I would think your vacuum switch wasn't closing. Maybe the bottom ash pan door isn't tight or the gaskets damaged? If I open my door, the auger stops feeding instantly. 30 seconds later, the stove goes into shut down mode. After I shut the door, I touch the start button and the stove is back up and running.
Do you know where your vacuum switch is?

Chan

On your digital board make sure your TRi-Mode Module chip which is on the top left side of the control board is not on pins 2 and 3. This controls your auger feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.