Mahoning 300 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eradz

Nov 6, 2015
Western MD
Hey everyone! First time user with an outdoor boiler system.I got a used Mahoning 300 which I plan to burn coal with maybe a little wood but mainly coal. I have a few questions, well maybe a lot of questions.

Pump location on furnace:
The pumps pull the water from the top of the furnace and returns to the bottom, is this the correct method?

Ran 3 pairs of insulated 1 inch pex inside the house. 1 pair will be for the main part of the house, the other will be for an addition that is 25x50, full basement with about 3/4 of it being underground. I have 2 pumps with this setup, a Taco 009 and 007. The 009 is on the 1inch line and 007 is on the 3/4 inch.

I tried to calculate the amount of Head for my runs which I thought was ~9. 40 feet of line into the house, ball valve, 20 foot to the heat exchanger, 20 foot return back to ball valve(might not need?) then 40 foot back to furnace. Sound about right with ~9 foot Head? If that is the case, can the taco 007 pump that route if I change the flange to 1inch? The other run will be about the same except maybe 20 more feet of Pex.

Will the fill line to the furnace freeze up? I would like to do an automatic filling if possible with a float system, if anyone knows a method , please share! :) I'm sure I will have more questions but all I can think about atm.

Thanks,

Eradz

Status
Not open for further replies.