Maine Woods Pellets vs. Oakie Golds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08specB

Mar 31, 2014
Ellington, CT
I had my stove installed back in July and with my stove I was able to get 3 free tons of pellets. I was allowed an amount of $259 times three but the Oakie had a great name so I got them and paid $60 for three tons (free I know why complain). I was running low last week and it was between HD Stove Chows for $225 a ton of Maine Woods pellets from a place literally a mile away for $280. I picked the Maine Woods pellets because I wanted to support my local business and also because I had a hard time getting myself to get Stove Chow even though I hear they are Ok.

The Oakie golds did not produce alot of ash the ash was very fine and a gray color. The Maine Woods however produce a more black ash and it tends to hang off the burn pot slightly. I know they are a more dirty of a pellet BUT I honestly will NEVER get the Oakie Golds again. On super cold days (heating my 1350sq ft upstairs) of my raised ranch I had to crank the stove up pretty high (85 degrees on room temp at feed 4) and the bedrooms would get to a max of about 70-72. Mind you I have cathedral ceilings where the stove is (Harman XXV) and where the hallway starts its regular ceilings.

When I got the Maine Woods pellets when the hopper was empty I put in a bad of the Maine Woods pellets. I initially noticed they were darker in color and MUCH shorter than the Oakies. I was told by the guy I got them from they were a 70% hardwood 30% softwood blend as opposed to my Oakies which were 100% softwood.

The heat off the Maine Woods was unreal (my wife even told me to turn the stove down and women are ALWAYS cold) for some reason and NOW the stove NEVER goes above 75 degrees and is set at feed #3. The same bedrooms are at 70-72 degrees the SAME temp as the Oakies but at a lower feed rate and temp setting.

I know these are ONLY my 2nd brand of pellets I have tried but I wanted to share my experience.

Jay

I know Harmans work differently, but just be sure that you aren't burning more pellets for more heat.

For example, in my stove, I know FSUs burn hotter than my DF Blazers. Seems contrary to everything we know. I can check the exhaust temp probe on the stove and it will be 20 degrees hotter, I can check the oven thermometer I've hung in the airflow and it's 20 degrees hotter. Why is that? Well, the FSUs are a short pellet. They seem to average ¼ inch, while my Blazers are longer and variable in length. The short pellets burn up faster, so basically more pellets more heat.

Now, the FSUs burn ashier and blacker than the gray ash DF Blazers, but that's because the FSUs need more air, since I'm burning more pellets on the same augur settings.

I only point this out since you mention the MWPs are MUCH shorter and that the ash is blacker, etc. So, check to make sure you aren't just burning more pellets, and if you can, you should try adjusting your air.

Now that you bring up that point I do see and understand what you are saying. Per the website I got the stove from the ash is about double in the MWP's however the BTU's are 100-200 less. I did have to keep the feed on 4 with the Oakies and had to switch it to 3 with the MWP's probably because they are burning faster. As to how much faster I think it is too early to tell (since I have only been burning them for a couple days. I do not know though how to adjust the air settings though on the stove...

The other thing I did notice is the flame is much larger burning on the MWP's than when I was burning the Oakies

I am going by the temp setting on the other side of the house in the baby room btw and how it feels in the main room its in. (Cathedral ceilings in living room where the stove is, kitchen and foyer.

Nice to see someone else enjoying their Harman and letting it gobble up cheaper pellets and still stay just as warm. Yea you may have to clean it a little more often with ashier pellets but that is why I went with a big ash bin! Could easily go four weeks between cleaning but usually do it every other just because. Love my smart stove! :p

Reactions: Harmanizer
I know Harmans work differently, but just be sure that you aren't burning more pellets for more heat.

For example, in my stove, I know FSUs burn hotter than my DF Blazers. Seems contrary to everything we know. I can check the exhaust temp probe on the stove and it will be 20 degrees hotter, I can check the oven thermometer I've hung in the airflow and it's 20 degrees hotter. Why is that? Well, the FSUs are a short pellet. They seem to average ¼ inch, while my Blazers are longer and variable in length. The short pellets burn up faster, so basically more pellets more heat.

Now, the FSUs burn ashier and blacker than the gray ash DF Blazers, but that's because the FSUs need more air, since I'm burning more pellets on the same augur settings.

I only point this out since you mention the MWPs are MUCH shorter and that the ash is blacker, etc. So, check to make sure you aren't just burning more pellets, and if you can, you should try adjusting your air.
Same here with my p35i t

Reactions: Harmanizer
I need to change my review as the Maine Woods arent they were not all that great in the end. I originally thought they gave off more heat than the Oakies but I was wrong because I was running my oakies when it was the dead of winter. From the time I got the Maine wood pellets until now I have gone through the entire ton I think in about a month. I have about 12-15 bags of the Oakies left which should get me through the rest of winter. The Maine Woods pellets were SO short and burned much faster than the Oakies however when I switched it started to get warmer out. The ASH from the maine woods is three times what the Oakies are and they are VERY dirty. Anyhow the oakies arent as bad as I originally thought they did a good job and didnt have much ash at all.

I tried a couple of bags of Maine Woods and they are almost as ashy as Maine's Choice. Not the worst I've burned but won't be going out of my way looking for them.

Last edited:
I have Okie Gold's and Douglas Fur. My Quadra Fire Insert chews them up. The Gold are pretty good. The Douglas Fur very very good. Little Ash super HOT !! But you're going to pay for it.

I buy some MWP each season just to burn on "not so cold days" they are dirtier and don't throw the heat in my stove, but they are fairly cheap. There are times can get he MWP for a little over $4 a bag. When the cold weather sets in it's time for a better heat producing pellet.

I need to change my review as the Maine Woods arent they were not all that great in the end. I originally thought they gave off more heat than the Oakies but I was wrong because I was running my oakies when it was the dead of winter. From the time I got the Maine wood pellets until now I have gone through the entire ton I think in about a month. I have about 12-15 bags of the Oakies left which should get me through the rest of winter. The Maine Woods pellets were SO short and burned much faster than the Oakies however when I switched it started to get warmer out. The ASH from the maine woods is three times what the Oakies are and they are VERY dirty. Anyhow the oakies arent as bad as I originally thought they did a good job and didnt have much ash at all.
I'm glad you posted this because the condition you posted about sounded to me like a warming trend had come along.

As to the pellets, either will heat your house, the Harman will just compensate. There are some really lousy pellets out there that might not make the grade in the dead of winter if a stove is pushing it's limits to heat a large space but that's not your case and Maine woods aren't "that bad" a pellet.. The deciding factor, IMO, will be if you can deal with the dirtier pellet, not heat output. I think Maine Woods make decent heat in a blended pellet. A hotter and less expensive pellet will be American Wood Fiber Pure White Pine. Often these are found in the BBSs at BBS pricing.

Reactions: mepellet
Status
Not open for further replies.