Majestic flames having troubles on high...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatatude

Jan 12, 2010
Nebraska
OK, I have a Majestic Fireplace that I purchased new over 4 years ago. After having it a little over a year Id say and using it maybe 8 times tops, the main gas valve went bellies up. Needless to say I was upset. I pulled the valve and took it into where I bought it. They could tell the valve was pretty unused. I bought a new valve and didnt get it installed until a year or so later. Now the problem I am having is when I turn on the fireplace, the flames dont seem very high, and then when I put it on high, it seems to try and try to burn more and higher, but it just cant do it. Is there a chance the burners in the fireplace itself may have dust in them from sitting? or what else may be the issue? Thanks a ton for any help you guys may have. the shop I got the unit from has since stopped selling them (of course)...

I believe the unit is a DV580 with the temp control remote...

Do you have LP or NG?
Have you checked the gas pressure at the ports?
Do you know what the gas valve resistance - in OHMS - is supposed to be,
& have you checked it?
Have you pulled the burner orifice & checked behind it for the infamous
spider's nest?

I havent done any of this ... :(

I kinda just wanted to know if this was something I might be able to deal with myself, but from those questions I might not be able to.
I dont know what any of that is that you mentioned.

yes Majestic has gone belly up ( not unlike your gas valve) so parts may be hard to get, if any are needed.
Do you use propane (LP) or natural gas (NG)?
How did you determine that the gas valve was bad to begin with? What was the fireplace doing back then? Did you do the work yourself?

I would suggest getting a pro in there to check it over. Could be a multitude of things, especially since you have been tinkering with it yourself. To properly diagnose it you would need a manometer (preferably digital, about $300).

Status
Not open for further replies.