Make Your Own Pellets - No Shortages, Ever!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It also requires 3-phase power.

Not at all worth the effort. IMHO.

Several years ago I was in the 'short strokes' of buying a similar pelletizer driven by a 20 hp diesel engine and a hammer mill (necessary) also with the diesel along with 3 spare die and roller sets and 2 extra screens for the mill. Delivered at my door after clearing customs, paying a broker, and all shipping costs for right at $4000 from China, which is where that one comes from.
After you really investigate and look at the logistics of obtaining the raw materials, using the mill, nursing the pelletizer, cooling the pellets and then bagging them, it becomes a 3 man operation and a LOT OF WORK! You also need a binding agent since these little mills don't get the wood hot enough to stick together well.

No thanks.

How is moisture control achieved? Do you need to dry out the sawdust first?

Less aggravation to go buy a few tons extra this spring and keep them on hand for seasons like this.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
How is moisture control achieved? Do you need to dry out the sawdust first?
Yes, forgot that part. You need a good, accurate moisture meter to make sure you are in the 'zone'. The additive I mentioned helps you have a broader range but still, just like wood, pellets with high moisture content will not be good heat producers. You need a multitude of screened trays to let the pellets cool and dry out before bagging. It's not like professional manufacturers who have dedicated driers.

So
Yes, forgot that part. You need a good, accurate moisture meter to make sure you are in the 'zone'. The additive I mentioned helps you have a broader range but still, just like wood, pellets with high moisture content will not be good heat producers. You need a multitude of screened trays to let the pellets cool and dry out before bagging. It's not like professional manufacturers who have dedicated driers.
So what is the story on the waterproof,store outside bulk pellets?from texas,I believe?

Yep, the 22 hp one was the one I was going to get. You can see the tremendous markup that these companies are getting. There was a US company, http://www.buskirkeng.com/products-pelletmills.php that was quite intriguing and were very interested in having me use one of their mills. By then I had realized the work involved unless a group (co-op) got together to make pellets. That's the only way it would really work and the chances of finding like minded people all willing to work at the same time with the same dedication was really a stretch.

Yep, the 22 hp one was the one I was going to get. You can see the tremendous markup that these companies are getting. There was a US company, http://www.buskirkeng.com/products-pelletmills.php that was quite intriguing and were very interested in having me use one of their mills. By then I had realized the work involved unless a group (co-op) got together to make pellets. That's the only way it would really work and the chances of finding like minded people all willing to work at the same time with the same dedication was really a stretch.
Yep,the grass pellet plant that burned up out here last week(they also made animal bedding) appears to have run out of gov. funding.Kind of strange?

We used to call that 'Jewish lightning' but that's not PC correct anymore.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I was thinking on getting a mill at one time. I have a saw mill 2 miles away from me. I finally gave up on the idea. Mainly because of transposting the saw dust and how to control the moisture content. The mill cuts thier planks green so I would b concerned about were to store the pellets for a year while they dried out without catching fire in the process.

We used to call that 'Jewish lightning' but that's not PC correct anymore.
My dad called them "friction fires" He'd explain "its when the mortgage payment rubs up against the insurance payment"!!

Reactions: Harman man
Would never pay for itself even if you wasted $2G on a cheap mill, the finding of sawdust of proper moisture wouldnt ever be worth it, I've thought of using leaves, newspaper's, sticks or twig's, but all junk!!

We looked at these and several other machines.

Pellets can be made from waste paper (junk mail) leaves, grass cuttings, and a host of other biomass waste products.

After careful consideration, we stayed with using nut shells.

If you live in an area with huge amounts of broad leaf trees, and can scavenge all the leaves from your local park or ??? you could make plenty of biomass pellets.

Using one of these DIY pellet machines is going to take a fair amount of time, but if you have the time and want to basically heat your house "off the grid" and not pay much if anything for your base stock, it is workable.

We spend 3 days during the season hauling shells in and barreling them up.
This is a full day 3 times during the season, and it works like this.

Hook up the trailer
Load the 3 yard dumpster and get it strapped down.
Drive 4 miles to the plant, get weighed in, pull under the tower and get filled up, weigh out and pay the $$$$
Drive the 4 miles home, roll out all the barrels, then bucket out the dumpster and fill everything up

Put everything away, unload the dumpster, park the trailer.

Every pail of shells must be screened though a screen bottom bucket as the pail is filled prior to packing them to the stove (Sticks are an auger hazard)

OK
Figure out how you will gather, dry, process and store the biomass product.
Once pelletized, you will need to store the finished product for use.

This is not a 15 minute proposition, but rather a lengthy process.

Unlike the shells, which are already to burn, and just require hauling and storing, you must gather the biomass, dry it, process it through the hammer mill, pelletize it and box,bag,barrel or whatever to store it.

This is all doable.

There is a fellow locally who has heated his home for years on leaf pellets.

He gathers them by vacuuming up all the local parks with his big ridding law mower (the city loves it)
He has a large barn where he dries the leaves and does his processing.
He barrels the pellets up in 50 gallon drums and uses them as needed.

He also gets the shredded paper from one of these shredding outfits, and makes a paper pellet too.

There are options, just not as easy as buying a pallet full of your fav wood pellets.

It's work, and plenty of it. No free lunch

Getting the new pellet machine is where the fun stops and hard work begins.

If you have a place to do all this, it's doable.

Cost of the machinery
Cost of fuel/electricity to run it.
Cost of gas to go get the biomass
Cost
Cost
Cost

Bottom line $ Maybe

If you want to fiddle around and make a few bags of waste paper pellets or whatever for fun, the bottom line is really $ RED INK

In order for this plan to pay for itself, you must be dedicated to the cause.

Our heating setup is a way of life.
Get the shells
Store them
Screen each bucket full
Pack them upstairs
Keep the stoves clean
Constant stove maintenance, as this is our sole heating system.

Just some thoughts to consider before you trip the hammer on that new pellet machine.

Snowy

We looked at these and several other machines.

Pellets can be made from waste paper (junk mail) leaves, grass cuttings, and a host of other biomass waste products.

After careful consideration, we stayed with using nut shells.

If you live in an area with huge amounts of broad leaf trees, and can scavenge all the leaves from your local park or ??? you could make plenty of biomass pellets.

Using one of these DIY pellet machines is going to take a fair amount of time, but if you have the time and want to basically heat your house "off the grid" and not pay much if anything for your base stock, it is workable.

We spend 3 days during the season hauling shells in and barreling them up.
This is a full day 3 times during the season, and it works like this.

Hook up the trailer
Load the 3 yard dumpster and get it strapped down.
Drive 4 miles to the plant, get weighed in, pull under the tower and get filled up, weigh out and pay the $$$$
Drive the 4 miles home, roll out all the barrels, then bucket out the dumpster and fill everything up

Put everything away, unload the dumpster, park the trailer.

Every pail of shells must be screened though a screen bottom bucket as the pail is filled prior to packing them to the stove (Sticks are an auger hazard)

OK
Figure out how you will gather, dry, process and store the biomass product.
Once pelletized, you will need to store the finished product for use.

This is not a 15 minute proposition, but rather a lengthy process.

Unlike the shells, which are already to burn, and just require hauling and storing, you must gather the biomass, dry it, process it through the hammer mill, pelletize it and box,bag,barrel or whatever to store it.

This is all doable.

There is a fellow locally who has heated his home for years on leaf pellets.

He gathers them by vacuuming up all the local parks with his big ridding law mower (the city loves it)
He has a large barn where he dries the leaves and does his processing.
He barrels the pellets up in 50 gallon drums and uses them as needed.

He also gets the shredded paper from one of these shredding outfits, and makes a paper pellet too.

There are options, just not as easy as buying a pallet full of your fav wood pellets.

It's work, and plenty of it. No free lunch

Getting the new pellet machine is where the fun stops and hard work begins.

If you have a place to do all this, it's doable.

Cost of the machinery
Cost of fuel/electricity to run it.
Cost of gas to go get the biomass
Cost
Cost
Cost

Bottom line $ Maybe

If you want to fiddle around and make a few bags of waste paper pellets or whatever for fun, the bottom line is really $ RED INK

In order for this plan to pay for itself, you must be dedicated to the cause.

Our heating setup is a way of life.
Get the shells
Store them
Screen each bucket full
Pack them upstairs
Keep the stoves clean
Constant stove maintenance, as this is our sole heating system.

Just some thoughts to consider before you trip the hammer on that new pellet machine.

Snowy

Good stuff!!

Reactions: Harman man
You can also make them from hay. Around here the big, 1000# bales of hay/straw are really cheap. Your stove better love ash though! Like Snowy said, it's a lot of work. A labor of love. The love of not paying some fool on EBay $20 a bag for pellets! It used to be that our state didn't charge sales tax on heating fuel but they soon learned another way to collect more 'blood' out of the 'stone'.

On the pellets, folks forget about the hammer mill operation, the regulation of moisture, and the lengthly cooling process after making them. Also, if you find a good discussion by the small time pellet makers, you'll see that there are many horror stories about clogging up the flat dies and having to drill out the holes over and over again. And the reaming and polishing of the holes to try to prevent this from happening. Throughput rates also are greatly exaggerated. All these challenges makes me want to go out and get a setup! The prices are just outrageous though. After this winter, watch all the pellet machine 'pro's' come out of the wood work wanting to sell you their magic machines.

Reactions: iceguy4
UH HUH- WHAT HE SAID

I got to mess with one of the little china made diesel powered machines one summer, and it was cute and all, buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, for us, the shells were still far better to burn.

If I could get a little machine CHEAP, I would love to fiddle with one and really see what could be done.

Heating "off the grid" is indeed a labor of love.
It's a good one though if you can do it right.

Snowy

Yea, Snowy has the best deal imaginable if she can get enough help to put up the shells for the next season. For me, I'd love to see a railcar full of Anthracite coal pull up down the road and let me unload it into a hole in my backyard (swimming pool!!!). I'd be set for MANY YEARS but not as cheaply as she can be! Lucky gal!

Status
Not open for further replies.