Man, you guys are good!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
The old Stihl FS74 trimmer would not run above idle, and I had tried everything I know. Going over it one last time (before heading to the repair shop), I realized I had not looked at something mentioned here more than once: the spark arrestor screen.

Sure enough, it was completely plugged. It took me a while to remember how to clean one - torch - but in just a few minutes I was back running full speed.

So, not only do you answer my questions when I post but now you are anticipating my questions and providing answers before I even start a thread!

The old Stihl FS74 trimmer would not run above idle, and I had tried everything I know. Going over it one last time (before heading to the repair shop), I realized I had not looked at something mentioned here more than once: the spark arrestor screen.

Sure enough, it was completely plugged. It took me a while to remember how to clean one - torch - but in just a few minutes I was back running full speed.

So, not only do you answer my questions when I post but now you are anticipating my questions and providing answers before I even start a thread!

Awesome! Sometimes I don't post a question and just try to find the answer. But I've realized someone else may have the same question down the road and my thread would come up in a search, and help them too.

So us helping you could be helping a bunch of people who don't even post here too.

Also another helpful tip, check your mix, spark plugs, and quality of your oil. They shouldn't be gumming up to the point of not running.
I personally remove the spark arrestor on everything (except my chainsaw, due to high rpms, proximity to sawdust etc), but regular maintenance, clean fuel etc, is probably the better option.