Marathon heater co. logwood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skearns45

Dec 21, 2022
RI
I recently moved into a home and installed a "marathon heating co. wood boiler". It was giving to me used and I'm not sure if it has all the parts. I don't know anything about it and can not find any owners Manuel or information about it online. I have read in a previous post that there is a stainless steel deflector that goes in the fire box. Does anyone have any pictures of what this looks like? I believe mine is missing I think this makes sense because my burn times and flue temps are far from stable. I have baro installed my draft is .03-04wc. I have 2/3 of the intake closed off with aluminum foil because if the Samson damper controler door opens just a millimeter my flue pipe will shoot to 800 degrees. When it shuts it goes to 150 degrees. I believe this stainless steel deflector that was mentioned is needed to help contain the heat in the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks🤙🏻

Last edited:
I recently moved into a home and installed a "marathon heating co. wood boiler". It was giving to me used and I'm not sure if it has all the parts. I don't know anything about it and can not find any owners Manuel or information about it online. I have read in a previous post that there is a stainless steel deflector that goes in the fire box. Does anyone have any pictures of what this looks like? I believe mine is missing I think this makes sense because my burn times and flue temps are far from stable. I have baro installed my draft is .03-04wc. I have 2/3 of the intake closed off with aluminum foil because if the Samson damper controler door opens just a millimeter my flue pipe will shoot to 800 degrees. When it shuts it goes to 150 degrees. I believe this stainless steel deflector that was mentioned is needed to help contain the heat in the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks🤙🏻
I am not familiar with that boiler, they must all work on the same principal. If there is a damper in your flue pipe leaving the boiler or the boiler itself close it down some to contain heat in the boiler. It is possible you have too large of a fire in the fire box. keep your water temp below 185. a lot of controls and pumps have a max temperature of 200 degrees. above that they get damaged, like stop working accurately, or at all.

I have a marathon wood boiler. I don't see temperatures like you describe. -- And I have no idea what your boiler looks like, but the only stainless steel part is an ash pan that slides in under the grates. Mine will burn wood or coal. -- You might be thinking a 1/2 think steel plate that goes inside just above the fire. it covers about half the fire box, and keeps fine ash from going out the flue pipe.