Mason Hearth Clearance to Combustibles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Perhaps this has been explained to you in another of your threads.

I have attached 2 pics of my hearth, similar to your brick wall. Behind my brick wall is a studded wall that separates the family/woodstove room from the utility room. Behind the studded wall is our masonry chimney which is inside the utility room. So our 8" clay thimble passes thru my brick wall, thru the studded wall, thru our chimney block the flush with the clay flue inside. I constructed the wall similar to the pic that I have attached. I came out of our Jotul F45 manual. So I framed a big hole in the studded wall at the thimble pass thru. The thimble is surrounded by 12" of brick inside the studded wall, attaching to both my brick wall and to the chimney. Since you are not using an insulated thimble at this time, the thimble must be surrounded by that amount of brick if indeed your thimble passes thru a studded wall. I wish I had pics of the bricking of that thimble when the wall was open. . We took a lot of photos when building 30 years ago but not one of that area. Hope this helps.
Prior to DVL installation.
IMG_1485.JPG

With DVL
20221222_092259.jpg
Jotul pic. So picture your/mine brick hearth wall in front of the 32 x 32 thimble surround. Hopefully your father and the mason constructed it that way.
F45 Chimney.jpg

Perhaps this has been explained to you in another of your threads.

I have attached 2 pics of my hearth, similar to your brick wall. Behind my brick wall is a studded wall that separates the family/woodstove room from the utility room. Behind the studded wall is our masonry chimney which is inside the utility room. So our 8" clay thimble passes thru my brick wall, thru the studded wall, thru our chimney block the flush with the clay flue inside. I constructed the wall similar to the pic that I have attached. I came out of our Jotul F45 manual. So I framed a big hole in the studded wall at the thimble pass thru. The thimble is surrounded by 12" of brick inside the studded wall, attaching to both my brick wall and to the chimney. Since you are not using an insulated thimble at this time, the thimble must be surrounded by that amount of brick if indeed your thimble passes thru a studded wall. I wish I had pics of the bricking of that thimble when the wall was open. . We took a lot of photos when building 30 years ago but not one of that area. Hope this helps.
Prior to DVL installation.
View attachment 323238

With DVL
View attachment 323242
Jotul pic. So picture your/mine brick hearth wall in front of the 32 x 32 thimble surround. Hopefully your father and the mason constructed it that way.
View attachment 323243
Very nice description. And it's extremely rare for me to find one that's even close to correct

I would contact this guy and ask if he recollects how your father's brickwork was done. If you find him, ask him to come to the house to may help him remember. It's incredibly important to know what is surrounding that thimble.
Hello Crab,

Thanks for stopping by. The support from this community has honestly been pretty awesome. So I just reached out to the man that helped my father. I will just post this so there is no confusion on what he said. I also forget that the lower part of the foundation is completely cinder block. I know the thimble is a little higher but I should have definitely mentioned that.
Perry.png

Hello Crab,

Thanks for stopping by. The support from this community has honestly been pretty awesome. So I just reached out to the man that helped my father. I will just post this so there is no confusion on what he said. I also forget that the lower part of the foundation is completely cinder block. I know the thimble is a little higher but I should have definitely mentioned that.
View attachment 323266
Great news