Maxim 250 daily cleaning? Is that normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redridinghood

Dec 30, 2017
New Jersey
I have had my central boiler maxim 250 for 4 winters now and have never had this problem. It seems that the ash at the end of the auger is not falling down on the floor. It just stacks up there, sometimes several inches high, and blocks the airflow, and I think this causes the temperature to drop. So I have to scoop it down every morning and every evening around the auger. Anyone knows whats going on with that?

My water temperature is set at 182. I am using new pellets this year from Lowe's. I dont remember the name, but it says "hardwood" and "premium" -- $6.25 per bag or so. For the first several tons of these pellets, I didnt have this issue -- it started happening about a week or so ago, and I dont know what has changed. And one more piece of information: my front panel gauge is pretty much always shows the medium column fully lit up -- all the green LEDs and most of the red ones are lit up, the low and high columns are always dark -- is that normal? I have tried reading the manual, cant make sense of it.
Any suggestions to try? Thank you