Menards has SS chimney pieces on sale right now - what to do???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
So I was at Menards yesterday and see that 6" stainless chimney pieces (I think it was "Supervent" or some brand?) are on sale for $59.99 each for a 36" long section. I believe they are usually $84? I am trying to be slow and methodical about my system design but this sale price has me wondering about chimneys. Sale ends this week.

Will I be completely dissatisfied with an exterior chimney with no chase, 30' tall? I'm currently looking at EKO 40's and Tarm 40's. They have different flue sizes which further complicates my situation. I have absolutely no way to do an interior chimney from my basement, for the record. I have a two story with both floors being finished. I've got zero openings in my roof at the moment sense all of my gas appliances are direct vented. To exit my utility room in the basement I will have to go roughly 3' to my basement wall (likely at a 45 degree angle), through the poured wall and straight up the side of the house. I actually will have to dig a well at the foundation to provide the room for the exit from the basement since the exit will be about 6" below grade.

Should I just bag this whole idea if I don't have a chase installed around the chimney? Will I be having constant problems with creosote and draft? My hope would be to have a minimum of 500 gallons of storage to start. I want the system to run well. If my chimney design is a no-win I may have to rethink the boiler idea. Exterior buildings are not an option for me since I have an "association" which restricts such things.

Any input would be greatly appreciated....

I am surprised that you HOA would allow smoke pipe up the outside. Kinda "Sanford & Son" they would say. I would put up a insulated chase with matching siding like many condos do. Prolly only cost under a grand. Best set up in your situation.

Our association only limits outbuildings and some other odds and ends like parking your boat in the driveway all summer. There are multiple homes with woodburners and the stack wouldn't look much different at the top. It'll be on the back side and the top is really all anyone could see.

The chase may come later but I'd rather not spend the money right now. I'm trying to do it right the first time but for as reasonable a price as possible...

I bought Menards 6" last year. Also bought the same (don't know the brand) from Menards 18 years ago for our woodstove. As good today as when we bought it, as best as I can tell.

I have 5' black stove pipe to 19' stainless Class A from Menards. The stainless runs through a well ventilated, unheated attic, and then through the roof. Worked great, no creosote from the Tarm. Cleaned it once this summer after a full heating season.

I' guessing my chimney is pretty cold (0 to -30 typical winter) when I fire up the Tarm from a cold start. No problems with draft. My run is all vertical, no horizontal or 45's.

My gut tells me yours will work OK. If needed, a chase could be added later quite easily. Also, if your start a small, hot, fast fire to get started and warm the chimney, you should be problem free.

Thanks for the feedback, jebatty. I think I'll pick up the pipe this week to save the money. My tape measure seems to indicate my vertical run will be closer to 24' as opposed to the 30' I previously thought. I'll have the 90 degree T at the foundation and at least one 45 degree inside the basement to get the black pipe over to the wall exit and exterior T. It won't be "ideal" but I have to believe it will still run pretty well.

Sounds like it's time for some lunch hour shopping....

Status
Not open for further replies.