Meteor Sighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Seen a meteor this morning while driving for work, fairly low in the sky and toward the south/south-west.

Was cool to see, but only lasted a second or 2. What I did find really cool is the American Meteor Society collects data from user submitted reports and logs fireball events and even shares photos and videos taken by users.

I wasn't the only one to see this meteor, and it was seen primarily in the Vancouver area at the same time. Data is still sparse, only 6 reports submitted with 12 more pending, but looks like this meteor would have been ~600km (375miles) away.

I've witnessed 2 major meteors where they were bright enough, and long enough to cast shadows. It's quite a phenomenon.

Reactions: ABMax24
I was on the night watch when sailing our first boat down to San Fransisco. We were about 60 miles offshore of northern Calif. when around 03:00 as I was looking eastward, I suddenly saw my shadow cast in a yellowish-green light. I spun around and saw the arc of light streaking to the west. It was really bright. The owner of the boat started getting worried that it was a boat in distress and convinced himself that it was a distress signal. I told him I thought it was a meteor but he was convinced otherwise. He got in touch with the Coast Guard, which humored him and said they had other reports, but were uncertain of the source. The owner offered to send up a flare so they could triangulate. He had these big Swedish flares and I suspect he was secretly dying to shoot one off. And he did. It was magnificent. The CG spotted it, said thank you, we see it. A few minutes later they told us it was a meteor. LOL. Anyway, it broke up the night.

Reactions: ABMax24
Indeed, and it was on a moonless night. The stars were magnificent.

The other time was in Seattle, with full city lights. I was out walking our dog one night when the flash in the sky occurred. It was daylight bright for a couple of seconds. Startled the dog too.

I missed this one a couple of weeks ago, but someone's house cam caught it.

I got up early yesterday morning to see the lunar eclipse and saw a meteor that appeared to emanate from the mostly shadowed moon - very cool!

Reactions: begreen