Methods to remove corner rods from VC top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
i've dismantled a 1979 Vigilant, and have found the corner threaded rods into the top won't budge. i've scraped around the rod entries, applied three treatments of penetrating fluid, and they still won't budge. they are original, and probably haven't ever been removed. i have torn down other VC stoves like this, and never had a problem. i need something that will grip tight around the rod and provide leverage. considering torch heat as well.

any magical ideas?!

Kano AeroKroil has never left me down. More than one thing has soaked overnight and turned out the next day like it was just put together.

I've learned to heat things I can carry around with steam. It doesn't burn off the penetrating oil, or discolor anything and is a gentler heat than a torch. I have an old Coleman stove and tea kettle I take next to the job. Boil water and as it comes out the small spout, heat parts in the steam stream. Sometimes you can prop the part up and let it over the steam while you work on it. I used to work around steam engines and had hoses with steam to use as needed. Works great.

Stud extractors grip, but twist it off easily. It took time to get stuck, so it takes time to loosen.
Is there room to get a tiny pipe wrench on it? I have a tiny one that has gotten me out of a few problems.
Anywhere on the rod where you can get two nuts and tighten them together to have someone apply torque as you work on it with heat or the best grip you can get?