midlife crisis fantasy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
It'll never happen, but I harbor the fantasy of building a wood-fired steam powered blocking saw....or maybe a steam powered splitter. The saw would be one double-acting cylinder, and would have a big flywheel. An', an', it'd have to have a whistle. Yeah...a five note chime railroad whistle. It would sound great: exhaust and whistle echoing across the valley.

Seriously, as a matter of historical interest, does any operable steam powered sawmill equipment still exist?

There is a steam engine show every year down the road. They had a steam powered saw. Didn't see them using it, tho.

www.michiganflywheelers.org

They have operating shingle and saw mills. also lots of steam powered tractors,splitters and many other types of mills.

i to have had that fantasy, so your not alone!

There is a airplane and other antique engined stuff museum in Owls Head Maine, very much worth the trip, nearly all of their "exhibits" are functional, and they have a variety of "roll-out" days when they open up the hanger and take the old birds out for a spin. Other weekends they have "live steam" days when all the local steam engine enthusiasts show up to demo their toys... The place has the steam engine that drove all the mechanical stuff for one of the turn of the century worlds fairs - one of the biggest steam engines ever built. They also have a steam powered log skidder - think a small locomotive on bulldozer treads - both in working order.

Gooserider

There are lots of steam and gas engine shows all throughout the midwest. While I haven't seen a dedicated steam powered saw, I have seen steam powered tractors powering various saw mills via belt drive. If you're going to 'live the dream' you might consider this option as the steam tractor could drive all sorts of accessories. Steam is cool!

Maybe a bit overkill, but you really need one of these!

Attachments

• steam.jpg
    steam.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 361
Dexter said:
It'll never happen, but I harbor the fantasy of building a wood-fired steam powered blocking saw....or maybe a steam powered splitter. The saw would be one double-acting cylinder, and would have a big flywheel. An', an', it'd have to have a whistle. Yeah...a five note chime railroad whistle. It would sound great: exhaust and whistle echoing across the valley.

Seriously, as a matter of historical interest, does any operable steam powered sawmill equipment still exist?
And stack it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.