Millivolts drop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

T28

Nov 19, 2022
Arkansas
I have a buck stove fireplace that was installed in a recently flipped house that we bought. The fire place appears to be new and has never been lit. The on/off switch was not even installed when I started messing with this thing to get it working. The pilot will light and stay lit but valve will not open to light burners. I checked the millivolt output with a meter and they were extremely low so I ordered and replaced the thermopile unit. I now get good voltage (500+ mv) when the switch that is 6 inches away from valve unit is off. When I turn switch on millivolts drop to 3 mv. What is the cause of this?

20221112_102729.jpg

Where is the gas valve in this unit? Your pic showing the mV reading
has the multimeter probes in the firebox. Normally, the TP output
is taken at the terminal block on the gas valve, located UNDER the
firebox, & in the valve cavity...
What is the model number of your unit? I want to look at an online manual,
if there is one.

Where is the gas valve in this unit? Your pic showing the mV reading
has the multimeter probes in the firebox. Normally, the TP output
is taken at the terminal block on the gas valve, located UNDER the
firebox, & in the valve cavity...
What is the model number of your unit? I want to look at an online manual,
if there is one.
The value is inside the box. There is an online manual at buckstove I believe. The fire place is a zcbb model, here are some more photos. Thank you for y
20221112_134019.jpg
our input.

20221105_134354.jpg
this reading is before I replaced the thermopile . I do not have a gas pressure gauge to check the inlet gas pressure. I did replace the regulator to the correct specifications 11W.C.

Ok, you have a Vent-Free (aka House vented unit). The hearth shop I used to work for
wouldn't even TOUCH these units, but I have dealt with a couple on my own.
I would take a look at the rear side of the pilot tube body, near where the actual pilot
flame shoots out. There is a small hole, maybe 3/32"diameter in that body that may
be blocked with dust, dirt or pet dander. Blow it out with a can of compressed air & see
if you can light the burner. That small hole is the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS), & if
it's not clear of any debris, the unit interprets that as an unsafe condition & it will not light.

Reactions: T28