Model 80 Buck stove door latch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ciggie58

Aug 2, 2022
Missouri
Should the door handle feel "loose" when the door is open? I get a good seal when the door is shut, but there is lots of play in the handle when the door is open.

I don't know if it's the same latch setup as was on the model 91 I ran; Does it have a screw on the inside end of the handle, and a cam piece with a couple of allen set screws? But yes, the 91 handle has some movement when it's not locked down, not a problem.

Yes, it has set screws on either side and a screw on the end. So I take it that the cam cannot be adjusted for a tighter fit when the door gasket starts wearing?

The cam is adjustable, as I remember. I recall wondering what that end screw was supposed to do..I'd have to look at it again. As long as the handle doesn't bottom out and stop when you are snugging it down, you're OK. I don't think the gasket should wear much since it is just seating against a flat surface. It might compress down a bit after a while, then it might need and adjustment. I replaced the gasket along the line, so mine never compressed enough to need adjustment. I like to use OEM gaskets, even though they cost a bit more.
I got good help when I called them with questions, so ring them up if you run into an issue.