Mont Vernon insert - I need help please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dragon breath

Nov 25, 2022
Massachusetts
First, I'm a newbie to caring for our Mont Vernon insert. It was installed in 2012. My husband named it Dragon Breath and it was his baby. Sadly, he passed away unexpectedly several months ago and I NEED to learn more about the stove.

Last night, it got stuck in the "startup" phase. I tried to "shut down" but it was stuck. I pulled the plug, cleaned it (had just been cleaned on Tuesday) and tried to power up again with no luck, stuck in "startup". Based on older posts it sounds like maybe the ignitor? I've had other concerns this year because I couldn't get the pellets he used and loved. So, I'm in a temporary pellet which I think has more ash awaiting delivery of a "better" pellet.

It was cleaned by a professional this summer. It wasn't my husband's usual but he came highly recommended from our "old" pellet supplier (they didn't get any this year).

What do I do about not starting up?

My other questions are:

What do you clean every ton? I had only paid attention to his weekly cleaning but would do something with a bunch of tools every ton. We would burn 7 ton a year.
What do I need to know that I don't know to ask?
Thanks! Pam