more modifications or new insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolateporcupine

Hearth Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
w det burb
I'm having more problems with clearance issues on my old conestoga wood burner insert- it seems I measured wrong on the distance(depth) at my flex connector. The slope(60deg?) of the steel fireplace backing is running into my connector point; I will have to cut out section of steel backing for clearance. I have no idea about combustibles in that area (near throat) of the fireplace, so I'm considering selling the old insert and buying either a hearthstone 8490 (Clydesdale) @ $2,158 or a Jotul C 450 @ $2,105 (incl. extra surround) from existing stock @ a local hardware; does any one have preference among these two or a better deal on cast iron inserts with imm. avaliability? I'm sort of leaning toward a new insert now, rather than switching in the next couple of years (if financing pans out).

Status
Not open for further replies.