Morso 7110B for whole house heating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StephB

Mar 20, 2023
Maine
Hello everyone! I've been a longtime reader of the forum but this is my first time posting. I love to read the great knowledge here and that folks are so helpful and respectful.

I am writing because I'm shopping for a new wood stove. The home I recently moved into doesn't have a wood stove now so this is a new install (my previous home had a Waterford stove). My current home, built in 2001, is a single floor, 980-square-foot open-concept manufactured home with no basement (I had spray foam insulation added to the underside of the house last year). The place is decently insulated (I live in Maine). Reading through the forums here, I had settled on a Morso 7110B (and a Thermguard to circulate air through the heat ducts - also advice I found on this forum), but when I got to the stove shop, the employees there weren't too supportive of the idea. They said the stove box is tight and that it wouldn't give off enough heat to keep my house warm, which is not the impression I had from folks here on the forum. They seem to be pushing the Hearthstone, which is catalytic (I don't want a catalytic stove) or Pacific Energy (which I know nothing about). Can anyone provide advice on whether or not the Morso 7110B will adequately heat my small house? The Morso is cheaper than the Hearthstone; from a cynical perspective, I'm wondering if they're discouraging the Morso because it costs less than the Hearthstone. Anyway, advice is much appreciated!

The 7110 has a small firebox. It may be possible, but you will be getting up every few hours to reload for overnight heating in cold weather. The PE Vista or Super have a larger firebox which will extend burn time.

The 7110 has a small firebox. It may be possible, but you will be getting up every few hours to reload for overnight heating in cold weather. The PE Vista or Super have a larger firebox which will extend burn time.
Thank you for your input. You have a PE, right? You're happy with it?

Yes, our PE is 14 yrs old now and still going strong. I like its KISS design and low maintenance.

Yes, our PE is 14 yrs old now and still going strong. I like its KISS design and low maintenance.
I ended up with the new Jotul Rockwood. I had been looking at the Morso because it's one of the few non-catalytics that qualifies for the tax rebate, but once that was off the table, then the Jotul became an option. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reactions: begreen and Todd
I ended up with the new Jotul Rockwood. I had been looking at the Morso because it's one of the few non-catalytics that qualifies for the tax rebate, but once that was off the table, then the Jotul became an option. Thank you again for your feedback.
Once you have some time burning be sure to leave a review here. You are the first on the forum that I am aware of to get a Rockwood.

Is the stove you got manufactured home approved?

Made right here in Maine! Over in Gorham.

I have a Jotul F100, slightly smaller firebox than the Morso... (0.85CF vs 1.04). .I thnk you made the right choice if you want overnight burns, or close to it. I find I have to get up at least once during the night if I want it still burning.... I'm to the point now where I just let it go out and relight in the morning, which is fine with me, really.

I have a Jotul F100, slightly smaller firebox than the Morso... (0.85CF vs 1.04). .I thnk you made the right choice if you want overnight burns, or close to it. I find I have to get up at least once during the night if I want it still burning.... I'm to the point now where I just let it go out and relight in the morning, which is fine with me, really.
Hi Nate,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm with you on just restarting in the morning. I have no interest in getting up in the middle of the night to keep the fire going. :) But I'm hoping it'll burn long enough overnight to leave me with some embers to use when I finally do crawl out of my warm covers.

Congratulations. The F35 is a good stove. Nicely made and right-sized for the job.

I hope Jotul Maine can apply their turbulator tech and reintroduce their inserts. They left a hole in the market when they pulled out.

I'm hoping it'll burn long enough overnight to leave me with some embers to use when I finally do crawl out of my warm covers.
Yeah, I think you should be able to achieve that. :)

Reactions: StephB