Mount Vernon AE Glass Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Peter Martin

Oct 27, 2013
Chappaqua, NY
I recently replaced the rope gasket (stove side) on my Mount Vernon AE. That repair went fine. I decided to disassemble the door glass to see if that gasket needed replacing as well (I haven't done this in the 10 years that I've owned the stove, so that gasket is from the factory). When I did this, I saw that it's not really an airtight gasket, it's just something that looks like a piece of cloth that goes on all four sides and wraps around the edge of the glass, but it not glued to the glass. This seems strange to me, as I wouldn't think that setup would be very air tight. Nevertheless, the stove works fine (other than very dirty glass), so I guess it's OK???

If it's not OK, what gasket would I replace that factory "cloth" with? It's not clear in the manual what the replacement gasket is. Should there be a gasket on all 4 sides of the glass and on both sides of the glass?

Thanks,

Pete

Most pellet stoves are not "air tight" nor do they need to be, as they are negative pressure. Many stoves do not have gaskets all the way around the glass,as it is part of the air wash system. Do not know about yours, but I would bet as you found it, was from the factory. I almost always use gasket kits from stove parts suppliers, and you get the right stuff. Probably is a youtube vid about replacing your gasket,take a look.

Yes, it was definitely as configured from the factory. I'm the only owner and I haven't touched it.

I don't think there is a kit for the Vernon AE. I looked at the manual, and it doesn't show a gasket there. The glass is held in by a metal frame, and the "cloth" gasket I mention above just seems to hold it in there are a little better, presumably so there is no rattling.

I can't find a youtube on this specific stove. There's a good one for the Castile, which I've used, but the Vernon AE system is different.

Thanks,

Pete

OK. And would your recommendation be to use this gasket on all 4 sides, given that's what I have from the factory (although that is a much thinner gasket than the one you link to above? For the record, this is a Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE. I guess I could try it that way and see what happens.

I would do all 4,the way it was designed. I believe that your gasket wraps around the glass,like in this video,but this is not your stove, so not sure.--