Moving a MT Vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkins

Minister of Fire
Mar 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I have to move a used MV that I bought. Looking at the manual there doesn't seem to be anywhere to us a hand truck without chancing messing something up. I have not seen the stove in person so there may be but it doesn't look like it from pictures. How has everyone else moved their stoves? I was thinking of making a "L" shaped tray out of plywood for the stove to sit on and then pick the whole mess up under the plywood tray. The bracing would have to be pretty sturdy in order for this to work. I have major back problems and can't even come close to helping. I am taking 2 other people with me to pick this stove up and help get it into my home. Is there anything that can be taken off this stove to reduce the weight while moving?

David

I believe the whole top lifts off, it's the entire top cast piece that includes the hopper door.
Seems to me the installers did that when they were moving mine around.
Also the decorative doors on the front can be lifted off.

If you have a Mt Vernon AE - The top comes off, the decorative doors come off, the ash drawer comes out. The interior baffle plate comes off. You can remove a lot of weight before putting it on a cart. I made a plywood floor for under the stove that did help a lot. Best help is about three husky football players.

How does the top come off? Are there clips of some sort, or screws to be removed? I have a exploded diagram of the stove but it is not at all clear how the top may come off.

Thanks,

David

If it is a AE the top will lift off. It is not fastened down. When we moved mine up the basement steps we removed everything heavy and put it on a small pallet I made. Then slid a moving cart under the front. There is a lip under the door so I put a chunk of wood above it and belted it down solid to the moving cart. There is small holes in the bottom of the legs that you can use to bolt it down onto a pallet making it easier to move.
My thought was a person could break a leg off if you get rough with it and it actually would be easier to move bolted onto a pallet.
I forgot to mention that under the ash drawer didn't look very sturdy to put a cart. That is why I made a base to set the stove on. The back isn't a good place to put the cart either.

Rona,

Thanks for your insight. It is not a AE. I thought it was, but it isn't. I like you idea of a pallet.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.