Moving from Englander to Harman - install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Juddct

Feb 7, 2021
New England
Morning all,

I purchased a new Summersheat stove last year on close out for $400, new. I knew it wouldn’t be a stove that would last long or not cause issues. Unfortunately, I was right.

I have been reading and think I have settled on a Harman XXV.

The issue I see in the replacement is that my current stoves exhaust pipe is 13” off the floor. The Harman stove’s exhaust is around 8”.

I would assume I need to raise up the Harman stove to keep the exhaust pipes level or I am going to have some interesting 45’s to make up the difference.

Currently my stove sits on a 2” piece of granite. My thought was to get (4) equal pieces of stone to raise the unit to make up the difference.

I’d prefer not to reinstall the thimble, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Do whatever you like best. Me I would raise the hearth but I like the look of a high hearth
so that would be my first choice.

There are adjustable lengths of pipe, depending on which brand of exhaust piping you have

Morning all,

I purchased a new Summersheat stove last year on close out for $400, new. I knew it wouldn’t be a stove that would last long or not cause issues. Unfortunately, I was right.

I have been reading and think I have settled on a Harman XXV.

The issue I see in the replacement is that my current stoves exhaust pipe is 13” off the floor. The Harman stove’s exhaust is around 8”.

I would assume I need to raise up the Harman stove to keep the exhaust pipes level or I am going to have some interesting 45’s to make up the difference.

Currently my stove sits on a 2” piece of granite. My thought was to get (4) equal pieces of stone to raise the unit to make up the difference.

I’d prefer not to reinstall the thimble, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated.
I assume having piping running up to the thimble is not the best solution, correct?

Thanks for the reply

I assume having piping running up to the thimble is not the best solution, correct?

Thanks for the reply
It is an option but your first 90 should be a cleanout Tee
so that the pipe in that area is easy to clean without having to take it apart.

Could you post a photo of your setup?

I’m guessing the Englander was a straight out through the wall install? I had the same problem when installing a P68 where an Englander used to reside, I want to say my difference was 4” between the two (straight out through wall then up install), only thing I can recommend is set the stove on something close to height and shim to exact height then build a hearth accordingly. This particular install was in an unfinished basement, so I was able to get everything lined up using a low-profile floor jack under the stove to get the actual height needed for raised hearth.

Here’s some pics of my current setup. One 45 due to being in the corner then straight out to a clean out and up 4/5’ to the cap.

Thinking my best option is to move the stone up 4-5” so it’s on the right plane to be level with my thimble.

I’m learning the hard way to “buy once, cry once”..

B7A66232-9290-41C3-8A96-865C2C315752.jpeg CA30BD64-9846-4E8D-81EB-1C36B43F3732.jpeg

I would make a frame out of wood the height needed put a
nice finished pine or oak around the edges to the floor. then
place the stove cap on top bing raised hearth
Something I did see or maybe did not see
WHERE IS YOUR SURGE PROTECTION?

One other question. Is there a good way to get the flue sections apart that have high temp silicone on the twist lock areas or will it be as difficult as I am guessing?

Thanks again all

X2 on surge protection! You don't want to be replacing the control board in your shiny new XXV!

One other question. Is there a good way to get the flue sections apart that have high temp silicone on the twist lock areas or will it be as difficult as I am guessing?

Thanks again all
It'll be a pain! I searched and searched and couldn't find any type of material to digest that stuff to get it off.

Try high temp silicone tape next time. It wraps tight around it, but is easy to cut off and replace. Lowe's carries Sharkbite brand in the plumbing section.

When I had my P43 installed the dealer showed me the pad, and after watching him demonstrate how to clean the stove and him down on the floor crawling around I asked if it could be raised. They had the local lumber/furniture place make me a nice oak riser about 6" high to place the pad on. It works out well.

If you could find some nice stone to match or accent your stone pad, I think that would be nice to put under each leg of the stove. I guess the problem is finding them just the right height.

Reactions: Juddct