Moving the warm air upstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
We have a basement install and have been using a short pedestal fan to move the cold air down the stairs. I had put some shims under the back to angle the fan down the stairs but couldn't get it angled enough without it tipping over with the slightest bump. Thinking I could do better, I purchased a small fan at WalMart that the fan pivots on the supports and I can get it the exact same angle as the stairs. A huge difference! I can't believe how much heat you can feel moving up the stairs.

Ja, better to work with the natural convection and maintain a laminar flow rather than cause turbulence.

Basement install here as well. I can sit on the stairs and feel that cold draft running down the stairs and stand up and feel the warmth going up. Haven't tried a fan to help out yet, can't figure out a palce to put it where it won't be in the way. Wendell, your going to need all that extra heat here in the next week or so, looks like the coldest air so far this winter heading your way.

Todd said:
Wendell, your going to need all that extra heat here in the next week or so, looks like the coldest air so far this winter heading your way.

Heading our way too. Rolling right over you guys and coming down here to the tropics is putting the big freeze on us. With high winds to boot. They started rolling in an hour ago.

Todd said:
Basement install here as well. I can sit on the stairs and feel that cold draft running down the stairs and stand up and feel the warmth going up. Haven't tried a fan to help out yet, can't figure out a palce to put it where it won't be in the way. Wendell, your going to need all that extra heat here in the next week or so, looks like the coldest air so far this winter heading your way.

What do you mean heading MY way. You get it two hours before me! ;-) Plus, I'd say it is already here!!

This thing is small, probably less than 8" and we have it sitting on the edge of the stairway on the first floor. You gotta remember it is there but it really isn't in the way.

Put a small fan on the floor 6-8 feet in front of the stove. I am amazed how this has helped me out.

If you have wood that is not quite "ready" stack around your stove at a safe distance and wahla you will be surprised.

My .02.

KC

I also have a basement stove. The guy I bought the house from sealed the floor joist above the wood stove [like a cold air return] and left a 4 foot opening right above the stove. He installed 2 fans on a thermostat to blow the hot air into the kitchen and living room. The only problem was no heat to the bed rooms. Cut 4 x 12 inch holes and covered with grates in bedroom floors for return air and it works fantastic.

My stove is on main floor and I put a 6" clip on fan on the nosing of the top step upstairs. Put it to one side next to the wall and it's really not in the way. You can angle it so it blows down right along the top of the treads. Works great. Fan =$15 at local hardware store.

wendell said:
Todd said:

What do you mean heading MY way. You get it two hours before me! ;-) Plus, I'd say it is already here!!

This thing is small, probably less than 8" and we have it sitting on the edge of the stairway on the first floor. You gotta remember it is there but it really isn't in the way.

I like the standard 12" table fan running on low speed. It moves a lot of air almost silently and can be angled downward. But a smaller fan may be less in the way if it's a narrow stairway opening.

For the longest time I was always trying to push the warm air out of the room with the stove. After reading a few threads here I turned some fans around and was very impressed! I had a Basil plant on top of my fridge that was quite happy there but within hours of turning the fan around it shriveled up and died!!

Status
Not open for further replies.