Mr Cool Universal 4-5 Ton Heat Pump - DIY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for the feedback.
I think I am going to purchase the Mr cool.
Got a couple of quotes to replace my unit with a 14 sear heatpump and they where more than double the cost of the Mr cool. Who doesn't want to save $
So have you figured the orientation you will need?

The manuals don’t have lots of details. It would be nice for this to be configured as a two stage. But since it’s variable speed it really doesn’t matter. The 100cfm difference is probably not really noticeable unless you hear it ramp up.
The difference is quite noticable on our lower level unit. I'm not sure why. Perhaps the noise generation is not directly proportional to the airflow?

Yes. I'm going with the 2/3 ton. It will be horizontal in the attic. The freon lines come out on the wrong side from the factory but I was told that I could unfortunately the a coil and turn it around so the lines would be on the opposite side. That way the precharged lines would not have to be routed over are under the air handler which means a 25' line set is more than enough.
I have a lot of humidity at Hilton Head island, SC and I think by this compressor running at slower speeds for longer periods of time and the air handler moving the inside air it should be able to bring the inside humidity down better than a traditional heatpump and make the house feel cooler.

Reactions: EbS-P
Yes. I'm going with the 2/3 ton. It will be horizontal in the attic. The freon lines come out on the wrong side from the factory but I was told that I could unfortunately the a coil and turn it around so the lines would be on the opposite side. That way the precharged lines would not have to be routed over are under the air handler which means a 25' line set is more than enough.
I have a lot of humidity at Hilton Head island, SC and I think by this compressor running at slower speeds for longer periods of time and the air handler moving the inside air it should be able to bring the inside humidity down better than a traditional heatpump and make the house feel cooler.
The A coil is relatively easy to move to any of the three positions although the manual does not reflect that. I have also mounted my 2nd level unit horizontally and had to move the coil. It's also easy to remove the blower. I removed my A coil and blower before moving the unit to it's mounting place since I was working alone.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I will probably do the same to make it lighter to get it into the attic.
Everybody says hooking up the precharged lies to the outdoor unit is very tight. Can you get 2 90 degre elbows to turn the connection lines from pointing down to the side?

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I will probably do the same to make it lighter to get it into the attic.
Everybody says hooking up the precharged lies to the outdoor unit is very tight. Can you get 2 90 degre elbows to turn the connection lines from pointing down to the side?
I don't know.
I used the pre-charged lines on my lower level install and saw no need for elbows.
I'm not sure about your situation though.

Here's a guy in CO that installed one of these and wrote up a whole thing about it. He loves it. This is from a personal finance site but I think a lot of his financial related input is valuable to all of us. He's a solar nerd too and mounted the air handler sideways.

Reactions: semipro
-4ºF sounds more reasonable, at reduced output.