Mt vernon AE Convection blower jam?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What year stove do you have? This depends on what holes you use on that "new supplier" pc. of crap. I replaced mine a few weeks ago. My stove is an o6. I had to use the holes, not the slots, to line up right as there are 3 bolts on top side. They make em for the newer stoves, that use the slots which puts the wire harness on the top side. So, I had to take the small bolts out of the flange. I had to remove the fan blade( this is a metric allen wrench too grrrr). Then there was room to undo motor mounting bolts, pull loose and spin motor, so wire harness was on top. Put it all back together and then it would bolt on old housing, putting wire harness on top, so wires reached control board with no problem of laying on motor housing which is hot. Used a couple small zip ties here and there. Be extra careful as the new motor mount is plastic, not metal like the old ones. I would not spice wires, in my opinion. Just makes more areas to go bad. kap

Reactions: Gicahagi
Got the new harness. Old one was burnt on the connection that goes to the bottom of the board. I'm hoping that there's no board damage. I don't see any, but without schematics, to be able to test voltages and/or resistance, I'm "pokin and hopin". Had to clean out the female side of the connector of burned pieces. For the life of me I can't see how they'd push so much through that connection that it would actually burn the connector.
Glad that I took the board off though. Gives me a chance to clean all of the dust bunnies from behind it.
The good news is, through this set of repairs and previous ones, I now have a spare igniter, burn pot TC, downpipe TC, convection blower, and high temp snap disc.
Most of the parts,....when one goes, I buy two. Because it never breaks at the perfect time, and I hate being without a spare.
Now for a thorough cleaning as I reassemble everything.

I have a very similar problem. The middle prong of the connector that goes from the convection blower into the bottom of the board is charred. I've ordered a replacement convection harness (after also ordering a new convection blower, thinking that was the problem). Tnoone, how did you clean out the female side of the connector?? That's actually on the control board, so I'm a little nervous about cleaning that bit. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

What year stove do you have? This depends on what holes you use on that "new supplier" pc. of crap. I replaced mine a few weeks ago. My stove is an o6. I had to use the holes, not the slots, to line up right as there are 3 bolts on top side. They make em for the newer stoves, that use the slots which puts the wire harness on the top side. So, I had to take the small bolts out of the flange. I had to remove the fan blade( this is a metric allen wrench too grrrr). Then there was room to undo motor mounting bolts, pull loose and spin motor, so wire harness was on top. Put it all back together and then it would bolt on old housing, putting wire harness on top, so wires reached control board with no problem of laying on motor housing which is hot. Used a couple small zip ties here and there. Be extra careful as the new motor mount is plastic, not metal like the old ones. I would not spice wires, in my opinion. Just makes more areas to go bad. kap

About this - I’m facing an issue with the original Torrington blower. Hoping I can replace the bearings but in case that doesn’t work, are you saying you purchased the newest replacement and retrofitted the new motor to the existing impeller housing? Can you elaborate on that because I’d love to be able to replace this motor without having to replace the entire assembly and deal with the exhaust transition.

No. I bought the new exhaust fan and changed things around on it, so I didn't have to do the whole housing thing too. kap

thanks for this post. had same issue. turns out conv blower wire harness was charred as well. replaced and all is good. (did not clean female side and worked with replacement anyway)