Mt Vernon AE Missed Ignition Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi Scoop! My pellet stove has worked flawlessly since I replaced the control board. At that time, I bought the fuse wires so if my igniter failed, it would blow the fuse - hopefully not the board. If you look at my pics, you could clearly see where my power supply had gone bad (yellowed) so I replaced it as well. Hopefully yours will show a similar sign of failure so you can spend the $600 confidently. I have put about a ton of pellets through since getting it going again last fall - it has a very rare misfire - usually because I didn't clean it soon enough. I have mine come on each morning at 5:30 to 70 then down to 64 overnight so it is on and off all the time! Let me know if there is anything else I can share! I appreciated all the help I got here and look forward to paying it back!

Reactions: Scoop11
There are fuses in the power supply box, as well as in the control board. The igniter is the only thing on this stove that is 120 v ac. Everything else is 12v dc power. If there is power in the power supply harness coming from the power supply, fuse in there should be good Diagrams of both are on page 31 of your owners manual. kap

Hi Scoop! My pellet stove has worked flawlessly since I replaced the control board. At that time, I bought the fuse wires so if my igniter failed, it would blow the fuse - hopefully not the board. If you look at my pics, you could clearly see where my power supply had gone bad (yellowed) so I replaced it as well. Hopefully yours will show a similar sign of failure so you can spend the $600 confidently. I have put about a ton of pellets through since getting it going again last fall - it has a very rare misfire - usually because I didn't clean it soon enough. I have mine come on each morning at 5:30 to 70 then down to 64 overnight so it is on and off all the time! Let me know if there is anything else I can share! I appreciated all the help I got here and look forward to paying it back!
Potsy! thank you for the quick reply, appreciate it! Happy to hear after replacing all those parts that your stove is up and running Again! I’m hoping to get mine back up and running as well. Although I have looked for the signs of failure on the power supply and the cable from the power supply to the motherboard, but nothing looks out of the ordinary. I can only assume that the issue is the motherboard that’s gone bad, but I’d like to be confident before putting down $600. Even though it is 15 years old, I really don’t want to give up on it because it is such a well-built stove and would hate to give it up for something inferior. I’m hoping somebody else in this forum may be able to assist…? Thanks again for your feedback. Keep warm!

There are fuses in the power supply box, as well as in the control board. The igniter is the only thing on this stove that is 120 v ac. Everything else is 12v dc power. If there is power in the power supply harness coming from the power supply, fuse in there should be good Diagrams of both are on page 31 of your owners manual. kap
Kap! Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it! It appears that these fuses are under a cover. I’ll try checking these fuses. But seems strange the only way is to remove the motherboard to check the fuses. thanks again for the input!

Engineers at their finest. But that is why they came up with the inline fuse harness for the igniter. kap

Engineers at their finest. But that is why they came up with the inline fuse harness for the igniter. kap
Lol! Yes Kap agreed on the engineers!… well I must thank you and Potsy for the advice. I removed the control board and replaced the 15A fuse for the igniter which was in fact blown. Put it back together and after an hour of trouble shooting a bad Fire Pot Thermocouple issue, I found the TC wires were manufactured in reverse. This was realized thankfully on the good advise from 607 Pellet Stoves in Oneonta NY.

Regarding the in-line fuse for the igniter, I found one online that says it’s for the Mt Vernon AE, but is it correct that it should be a 7A fuse In-line?

Otherwise all seems to be good now, as I write with fingers and toes crossed! THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

Reactions: kappel15
And always make sure you hang the wires for the igniter in the slot above the auto clean, so it doesn't run them and create a short. kap