Mt Vernon AE Pellet Stove "missed ignition" message

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dojo55

Dec 19, 2012
Hi. I have a Mt Vernon AE pellet stove that won't light up. The error message says "missed ignition" and I end up with a pan full of pellets. Based on review of previous posts, it sounds like it is an ignitor. Does this seem correct and if it is, is this hard to replace and how does one replace it?

Hi DoJo55,

I just replaced mine and the burn pot, I ordered the ignitor on ebay and it came with step by step instructions. It is not that hard technically but it is under the ash pan and you can not really see what you are doing. I think there are only the to pressfit connectors and one wing nut holding it together. Another thing is my stove I got used and it is an '09 and I have been burning out ignitors once a year just about so I ask about and and it turns out on the older models the square tube that the ignitor sits in has no vent holes and this causes the ignigtors to burn out quicker. That is why I replaced the burn pot as well because the square tube is connected to the burn pot and the newer version has vent holes and should make the ignitor last longer. I hope i didnt ramble to much and sorry if there any spelling or grammar issues.

Yes sounds like an ignitor. They are not very hard to replace just a little annoying, as "Purple29" said, you have to replace it from under the ash pan, just a little awkward. For know you can just manually light it to keep the house warm until the parts arrive. Use the gel lighting fluid and a handful of pellets, mix it up and off you go.

remove the right rear panel (looking at the unit) locate the igniter wires and un plug them. Check the resistance with a meter. That will tell you if it is an igniter issue. If you can not do that call someone that can.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.