Mt Vernon AE Spontaneous Shut Down - No Error

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

czachora

Jan 10, 2021
Massachusettes
I have a Mt Vernon AE Insert. Due to COVID, I cannot get anyone out to service the stove, so I am hoping someone can help.

My stove will start up normal through SS. Once it goes into Auto, the combustion blower will shut off, the flame will burn out slowly, then it will go into a verrrry slow autoclean (maybe 30min + where it moves in 1/2in increments). The Convection blower never turns on and no error codes show. Here is what I have done so far:

- Performed a full cleaning
- Replaced fire pot and drop tube TCs
- Check all wires for connection issues or damage
- Replaced power cord and surge protector
- Checked snap disk and tried with disk jumped

Other facts:
- Convection fan was clean and rotates freely (not sure how to test it though) It has never made any noises.
- There is a flashing red light on the control board just below the setting wheel/switch- is that normal?

Check the thermocouple in the burn pot. It must touch the end of the cover and be over the edge of the pot 3/4”-1”, also make sure the hole in the cover is free of ash that will insulate the TC. Try a board reset, unplug stove for a couple min then plug back in.

Reactions: czachora
Check the thermocouple in the burn pot. It must touch the end of the cover and be over the edge of the pot 3/4”-1”, also make sure the hole in the cover is free of ash that will insulate the TC. Try a board reset, unplug stove for a couple min then plug back in.
Thank you Ssyko. I have done all of those things - including replacement of both thermocouples and the snap disc. I also recently removed the control board to check all connections and fuses, then reinstalled it - The board looked good with no signs of damage - Unfortunately, I still have had no luck.

was the thermocouple OEM or aftermarket? a lot of the aftermarket you have to reverse the connections

I have the same pellet insert my insert is doing the same thing I can not figure out what is wrong I paid a tech to come out he is who quadra fire sent me to what a joke and there no one you can call with these insert if you find out what you find please let me know