My Alcove needs a TOP. What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisisdrew

Jul 16, 2023
Arkansas
Hello all. I think my alcove needs a ROOF. Hopefully to reflect heat instead of allowing it to drift UP my alcove. I think I'm losing a fair amount of heat up there, when I would prefer the heat LEAVE the alcove. What should I use? I'm thinking I need to put a cap on my alcove, at the point where the brick ends. But I need some suggestions amount materials and installation. See photos. What do you think?

Stove: Hearthstone Green Mountain 60

alcove1.jpgalcove2.jpgalcove3.jpg

The chimney pipe support box should have been lower. Stove pipe can not be enclosed with a block-off plate. Can you add a vent or two on the side(s) of the alcove walls right below the support box to vent out the trapped heat?

Reactions: cahaak
That sucks about the pipe as a block off plate and also perhaps some sheets of metal in the alcove shaped appropriately would reflect the heat. Paint the metal sheets black and it blends in with the stove.

The chimney pipe support box should have been lower. Stove pipe can not be enclosed with a block-off plate. Can you add a vent or two on the side(s) of the alcove walls right below the support box to vent out the trapped heat?
Stove pipe can't be enclosed in my alcove? I wasn't aware of this. That changes things. What if I just enclose it say, 85% and don't completely enclose it? You're right, I could also create a vent up higher on the side of alcove walls. Do people ever install small fans for vents like that?

Stove pipe can't be enclosed in my alcove? I wasn't aware of this. That changes things. What if I just enclose it say, 85% and don't completely enclose it? You're right, I could also create a vent up higher on the side of alcove walls. Do people ever install small fans for vents like that?
Stove pipe can not be enclosed, either through a wall or ceiling. By adding a block-off plate, that is effectively a ceiling. If the side vent is of a decent size, say 6" x 12" or larger then it won't need fan assistance. Even better if there is one on each side.

I'd rig up a fan to expel all that hot air from inside the alcove.

Reactions: EbS-P
I'd rig up a fan to expel all that hot air from inside the alcove.
Does the GM 60 have a blower option? If so is it blowing straight up or horizontally across the top?

I have been told this as well, but what is an attic? Is is essentially enclosed just on a bigger scale. I was told by my dealer as long as the clearances are met away from combustibles, it's not an issue. Any stove pipe that goes straight up is essentially enclosed at some point as well whether it goes through a floor, a roof etc.

I was also told by someone In the industry that you can enclose silver double wall pipe, but not black double wall pipe. There seems to be differing of opinions/interpretation on the limited specs. I was approved by my fire inspector, but was told by someone else what I have is a fire hazard.

I was also told by someone In the industry that you can enclose silver double wall pipe, but not black double wall pipe. Any stove pipe that goes straight up is essentially enclosed at some point as well whether it goes through a floor, a roof etc.
The problem here is the confusion of terms. Yes, stovepipe can be double wall, but that is nothing like double-walled chimney pipe. Stovepipe can only be used in the room envelope. It can not penetrate a wall or ceiling. The flue system transitions to chimney pipe at that point. If by silver pipe you mean chimney pipe, that is something entirely different from stovepipe. It has much greater insulation and thus reduced clearances.
Any stove pipe that goes straight up is essentially enclosed at some point as well whether it goes through a floor, a roof etc.
Again, bad choice of terminology. In this case I think you mean flue system which includes stove (connector) pipe and high-temp chimney pipe.

Last edited:
The problem here is the confusion of terms. Yes, stovepipe can be double wall, but that is nothing like double-walled chimney pipe. Stovepipe can only be used in the room envelope. It can not penetrate a wall or ceiling. The flue system transitions to chimney pipe at that point. If by silver pipe you mean chimney pipe, that is something entirely different from stovepipe. It has much greater insulation and thus reduced clearances.
Is there black chimney pipe? I agree, I think terms are often confused

Is there black chimney pipe? I agree, I think terms are often confused
A few companies do sell black chimney pipe, though it's sometimes just painted black with high temp paint.

Hello all. I think my alcove needs a ROOF. Hopefully to reflect heat instead of allowing it to drift UP my alcove. I think I'm losing a fair amount of heat up there, when I would prefer the heat LEAVE the alcove. What should I use? I'm thinking I need to put a cap on my alcove, at the point where the brick ends. But I need some suggestions amount materials and installation. See photos. What do you think?

Stove: Hearthstone Green Mountain 60

View attachment 313819View attachment 313820View attachment 313821
Hi, we’re about to purchase a green mountain 60, and I’d like to install it in an alcove very similar to yours. Would you be willing to share your design, so I can get a rough idea of if our living room can accommodate the build?

Thanks!