My first 650 miles with a BEV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I’m just got a battery “fuse needs replaced” warning. This is the pyro fuse. I have not done much research other than it seems likely it will be covered under the 8 year battery warranty.

260 mile round trip to get the pyro fuse replaced under warranty. I asked them to look up the last time the low voltage battery was replaced. September 2021. I was the third person at the counter the first two had dead 12v batteries. So for $178 I picked one up. They charge 160$ to replace. It’s a PITA. But I’ll replace the hepa filter too if it looks bad.

Reactions: woodgeek
A big day today. The X finally got full self driving “supervised”. It’s been 7 years and 8 months since it was purchased new. I was skeptical. Tesla came through. Used it on one route it did fine.

[Hearth.com] My first 650 miles with a BEV

Well guys I've joined the EV club. The clutch line blew out on my 07 Toyota Yaris last weekend. Given how old it is and the maintenance costs going up my wife and I went to check out a gently used 2023 Chevy Bolt EV. took it for a test drive and loved everything about it* so we bought it on the spot. Just waiting on the check to clear so I can pick it up later this week.

This is less than a month after my dad also bought a used Bolt, hope he doesn't think I'm a copycat. Or if he does, whatever. I'm excited.

I'm still going to fix the Yaris and sell it. The dealer offered me $300 for trade-in, I said no thanks. It's been a heckofa good car, a relatively minor repair will make it driveable and I believe someone who needs a cheap car could still get quite a bit of mileage out of it. I'm just done dealing with it and ICEs in general.

** (except... you have to use the friggin touch screen to change the cabin airflow direction, even though there are unused buttons on the dash!!! grrr)

Well guys I've joined the EV club. The clutch line blew out on my 07 Toyota Yaris last weekend. Given how old it is and the maintenance costs going up my wife and I went to check out a gently used 2023 Chevy Bolt EV. took it for a test drive and loved everything about it* so we bought it on the spot. Just waiting on the check to clear so I can pick it up later this week.

This is less than a month after my dad also bought a used Bolt, hope he doesn't think I'm a copycat. Or if he does, whatever. I'm excited.

I'm still going to fix the Yaris and sell it. The dealer offered me $300 for trade-in, I said no thanks. It's been a heckofa good car, a relatively minor repair will make it driveable and I believe someone who needs a cheap car could still get quite a bit of mileage out of it. I'm just done dealing with it and ICEs in general.

** (except... you have to use the friggin touch screen to change the cabin airflow direction, even though there are unused buttons on the dash!!! grrr)
Welcome to the club! I think that’s definitely an upgrade from the Yaris. Did it/you quality for the used EV credit? They let me drive off the lot on a Friday afternoon after writing a personal the largest personal check I’ve ever written with my new van. Salesperson didn’t even blink. He had to have seen what I drive up in.

Welcome to the club! I think that’s definitely an upgrade from the Yaris. Did it/you quality for the used EV credit? They let me drive off the lot on a Friday afternoon after writing a personal the largest personal check I’ve ever written with my new van. Salesperson didn’t even blink. He had to have seen what I drive up in.
Last year my wife and I earned just a little too much to qualify for the used EV credit. The ironic part is we've both taken so much unpaid parental leave this year (had a baby in April) that we probably would qualify if they based it off the current year's income. But I don't think we can finagle that one.
Because I live in MA you have to get title transferred and insurance in place before you can register the vehicle. The dealer said if we went to the bank and got a cashier's check they could possibly have had it ready by today, but I was not in a rush since I can commute by train so I just wrote a personal check. They said policy is to hold personal checks for 10 days but if I send a screenshot of the cleared check they will start my title transfer. Ok. Should be able to pick up Thurs or Fri this week.

Reactions: EbS-P
Last year my wife and I earned just a little too much to qualify for the used EV credit. The ironic part is we've both taken so much unpaid parental leave this year (had a baby in April) that we probably would qualify if they based it off the current year's income. But I don't think we can finagle that one.
Because I live in MA you have to get title transferred and insurance in place before you can register the vehicle. The dealer said if we went to the bank and got a cashier's check they could possibly have had it ready by today, but I was not in a rush since I can commute by train so I just wrote a personal check. They said policy is to hold personal checks for 10 days but if I send a screenshot of the cleared check they will start my title transfer. Ok. Should be able to pick up Thurs or Fri this week.
Looks like you can use the lowest AGI of last year or this year.

In addition, your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $150,000 for married filing jointly or a surviving spouse
  • $112,500 for heads of households
  • $75,000 for all other filers
You can use your modified AGI from the year you take delivery of the vehicle or the year before, whichever is less. If your income is below the threshold for 1 of the 2 years, you can claim the credit.

Looks like you can use the lowest AGI of last year or this year.

In addition, your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $150,000 for married filing jointly or a surviving spouse
  • $112,500 for heads of households
  • $75,000 for all other filers
You can use your modified AGI from the year you take delivery of the vehicle or the year before, whichever is less. If your income is below the threshold for 1 of the 2 years, you can claim the credit.

Good to know! I will definitely be checking to see if we qualify when tax season rolls around, it will be close.

Edit: Wait a minute... This link here says it would have to be a 2022 model or earlier to qualify. So my 2023 model doesn't qualify for the used EV or the new EV credit. Is that on purpose? (Not that I was expecting to qualify for the credit anyway.. but, huh??)

Last edited:
We switched over from the Volt to a KIA EV6 over the weekend. Quite the change, but a nice ride.

Reactions: gthomas785
Good to know! I will definitely be checking to see if we qualify when tax season rolls around, it will be close.

Edit: Wait a minute... This link here says it would have to be a 2022 model or earlier to qualify. So my 2023 model doesn't qualify for the used EV or the new EV credit. Is that on purpose? (Not that I was expecting to qualify for the credit anyway.. but, huh??)
I believe a car has to be used for 2 years before its eligible to prevent people 'flipping' the cars for the benefit.

I never read past the income eligibility. But I agree it need to be a MY 2022 if purchased this year. But honestly that should have been figured into the price of the 2023 or a hypothetical 2022. Judging from inventory on lots that I’m seeing now appears to be a good time. (As long as you don’t want an AWD passenger Sprinter).

I never read past the income eligibility. But I agree it need to be a MY 2022 if purchased this year. But honestly that should have been figured into the price of the 2023 or a hypothetical 2022. Judging from inventory on lots that I’m seeing now appears to be a good time. (As long as you don’t want an AWD passenger Sprinter).
I did not see much price difference between a 2022 and 2023 Bolt even though the 2023 is IMO a vastly superior vehicle so you're probably right that the credit is being priced in by the market.
From what I can tell they are all a little underpriced right now because they are selling like hot cakes. I had to contact 3 different dealers with multiple active ads just to get a look at one that was still available. Probably paid slightly above average for it because I'm bad at haggling. Lol.

I did not see much price difference between a 2022 and 2023 Bolt even though the 2023 is IMO a vastly superior vehicle so you're probably right that the credit is being priced in by the market.
From what I can tell they are all a little underpriced right now because they are selling like hot cakes. I had to contact 3 different dealers with multiple active ads just to get a look at one that was still available. Probably paid slightly above average for it because I'm bad at haggling. Lol.
I didn’t even try to negotiate. Nothing I got to touch was even listed on the website yet. They were still in the back lot.

I really like the Bolt. Once they have access to Tesla charging it would Be my choice for an around town car that could take long road trips with ease. Once you experience the Tesla charging network it’s really difficult to go without.

Supposedly GM is making a NACS adapter that will be available this year so Chevy owners can access the Tesla charging stations.
I plan on charging at home 99+ percent of the time. If I go on a road trip I will plan stops carefully. The Bolt maxes out at 55kW charging.

Supposedly GM is making a NACS adapter that will be available this year so Chevy owners can access the Tesla charging stations.
I plan on charging at home 99+ percent of the time. If I go on a road trip I will plan stops carefully. The Bolt maxes out at 55kW charging.
I do perturbed any time I drop below 65kw;) We’ve taken multiple 300 mile trips many times in a single day and they are two stop trips. Probably wouldn’t take a bolt on the same day trips.

I do perturbed any time I drop below 65kw;) We’ve taken multiple 300 mile trips many times in a single day and they are two stop trips. Probably wouldn’t take a bolt on the same day trips.
The only trip I make routinely that is outside the Bolt's range is to visit my grandpa in downeast Maine. We go a few times a year at most. But now we have a 4 month old so if we are doing that trip we will have to make some extended stops anyway. An hour stop halfway along the route is not a big deal.
If I wanted to go further, it would have to be a 2 day trip with a charge to 100% overnight.

The only trip I make routinely that is outside the Bolt's range is to visit my grandpa in downeast Maine. We go a few times a year at most. But now we have a 4 month old so if we are doing that trip we will have to make some extended stops anyway. An hour stop halfway along the route is not a big deal.
If I wanted to go further, it would have to be a 2 day trip with a charge to 100% overnight.
All Our kids all have made the trip to Maine, 950 miles, straight through from about 3-4 months. They enjoy it once they are old enough to talk. No way we could do it in an EV. Even if had 300 mile range and really fast charging. Too many unplanned stops with no charging available. . Once they are asleep I hate to stop.

Reactions: gthomas785
All Our kids all have made the trip to Maine, 950 miles, straight through from about 3-4 months. They enjoy it once they are old enough to talk. No way we could do it in an EV. Even if had 300 mile range and really fast charging. Too many unplanned stops with no charging available. . Once they are asleep I hate to stop.
We're gonna do the trip in September, we'll see how it goes. Last month we drove to PA and had to stop every 2 hours to feed the kid, and he was getting really done with his car seat by the end of it. The trip back was not so bad, he slept most of the way but we still made a few stops.
My dad already did the trip to Maine with his Bolt, a single charging stop to 80% halfway, and got there with 20 miles left. A little close for comfort but my trip is an hour shorter than his I think it will be ok. Also he doesn't have to worry about kids anymore. Now that there are 2 EVs in the family I'm bringing supplies to install a 14-50 RV outlet at my grandpa's place so we can L2 charge there. Once you get past Bangor/Brewer it is a charging wasteland.

We're gonna do the trip in September, we'll see how it goes. Last month we drove to PA and had to stop every 2 hours to feed the kid, and he was getting really done with his car seat by the end of it. The trip back was not so bad, he slept most of the way but we still made a few stops.
My dad already did the trip to Maine with his Bolt, a single charging stop to 80% halfway, and got there with 20 miles left. A little close for comfort but my trip is an hour shorter than his I think it will be ok. Also he doesn't have to worry about kids anymore. Now that there are 2 EVs in the family I'm bringing supplies to install a 14-50 RV outlet at my grandpa's place so we can L2 charge there. Once you get past Bangor/Brewer it is a charging wasteland.
I hadn’t looked a while. Better than I was thinking I would be.

[Hearth.com] My first 650 miles with a BEV