My first burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magus

Nov 17, 2010
Michigan
Well...I finished installing my stove yesterday at 4:30pm.

I kept the house at 57 degrees all day yesterday so I could fully appreciate having the stove installed and lighting the first fire.
By the time I went to bed, the rear of the house was at 72 degrees...this was getting the flue upto about 350 degrees...did not want to over do it.

It was very toasty and I am very happy with how it performed.

One thing I did notice is that there very little smoke comming out of my chimney at start up...meanwhile, there was somke comming out of my neighbors.

Need your opinioin on something

My stove came with a blower (which I have not installed yet).

1. Do I "Really need it"
2. How does it work? (I dont know if it is on all the time or how it knows when to turn on).

Is there a big difference between having extra 1 foot of chimny or two foot?

I purchased the duravent-dura plus tripple wall 6 inch pipe.
I can purchase 24 more inches for $65 bucks...but that would put me at 5ft...which means I would have to put a roof brace around it and anchor it to the roof. If I order a one foot section...then I dont need to have the unsightly brace.

Magus said:

I kept the house at 57 degrees all day yesterday so I could fully appreciate having the stove installed and lighting the first fire.
By the time I went to bed, the rear of the house was at 72 degrees...this was getting the flue upto about 350 degrees...did not want to over do it.

One thing I did notice is that there very little smoke comming out of my chimney at start up...meanwhile, there was somke comming out of my neighbors.

1. Do I "Really need it" It will help move the warm air... Is it needed ? Depends on what unit you have... BTW what stove do you have? Put the stove in your signature. Will it help for sure. You may find by using it, you burn smaller fires to achieve the same results. Needed is such a subjective term. It will create noise, if thats a factor you may not want it but...

2. How does it work? (I dont know if it is on all the time or how it knows when to turn on). Many/most units have a thermo activation switch, meaning it turns on at x temp and off at y temp, some units also have an automatic speed switch, so the hotter the box the higher the speed, then as the box cools the speed slows down and eventually turns off completely. Some blowers are just manual adjustments, so again it depends.

Is there a big difference between having extra 1 foot of chimny or two foot? It can make a difference in the draft the key is that the top of the chim is above the roof peak. There are those on this forum that can give you more info, I am far from the one with the most knowledge on this subject.
I can purchase 24 more inches for $65 bucks...but that would put me at 5ft...which means I would have to put a roof brace around it and anchor it to the roof. If I order a one foot section...then I dont need to have the unsightly brace.

shawneyboy said:
Magus said:

1. Do I "Really need it" It will help move the warm air... Is it needed ? Depends on what unit you have... BTW what stove do you have? Put the stove in your signature. Will it help for sure. You may find by using it, you burn smaller fires to achieve the same results. Needed is such a subjective term. It will create noise, if thats a factor you may not want it but...

2. How does it work? (I dont know if it is on all the time or how it knows when to turn on). Many/most units have a thermo activation switch, meaning it turns on at x temp and off at y temp, some units also have an automatic speed switch, so the hotter the box the higher the speed, then as the box cools the speed slows down and eventually turns off completely. Some blowers are just manual adjustments, so again it depends.

Is there a big difference between having extra 1 foot of chimny or two foot? It can make a difference in the draft the key is that the top of the chim is above the roof line. There are those on this forum that can give you more info, I am far from the one with the most knowledge on this subject.

I have a USSC APS 1100B. I dont know who makes the blower motor

Status
Not open for further replies.