My first wood stove...installation...advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vti-chris

Jan 23, 2012
Cyprus
Hello everyone.

I just bought a 7Kw (24K Btu) wood stove for my two floor house. It's placed in the middle of the ground floor between the kitchen and the living room and will (hopefully) be heating a space of 90m2 (1000sqft).
I'm mostly concerned about the flue pipes (by hearing different stories!!!)

The stove will be placed at only 7inches in front of a type X drywall. Because of this i already bought a cement board to use as a heat shield which will go 1 inch away from the drywall.

The flue will go straight up where i have a 12"x12" inch slap opening which is now closed with an X drywall board. So i will cut a 10inch diameter circle to pass the 6" uninsulated flue pipe.(no insulation will be used around this section.)

On the 1st floor i have a 20" x 20" concrete block cavity(only one side facing the hallway is lined with X drywall) which is for the rest of the flue to go through and i have installed 2 air ducts on the drywall (one on the bottom of this cavity and one on the top) so that i can get that extra heat from the uninsulated flue to the 1st floor.

Going through and on the roof (it's insulated with spf foam) i will install 6ft insulated flue pipe.

I will be using fire place mastic sealant on the flue joints and will be secured with 3 self tapping screws with heat resistant aluminum tape(not on the ground floor for aesthetic reasons).

Any advice would be appreciated!!
Thank you

You may not be able to locate your stove safely at 7" from the wall.
What does the manual say for "Reduced Clearances?"
Your connector pipe CANNOT pass thru the ceiling,
You MUST install a ceiling support box & change over to Class A
chimney from there & run it all the way to the cap.

Forgot to mention that my house is build on concrete foundation with Ytong blocks. So the only "flamables" are the drywalls.
The 12"x12" opening on the ceiling of both floors is on the 8"thick concrete slab...which is currently sealed with the x drywall.

Do i still need the support box?

The stove manufacturer doesn't clarify anything about cutting down on clearance so it has to go by experience!!!
The stove has vermiculite blocks allnover the back and on top of the combustion chamber.

Does this help?

This is the stove...
s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

As i understand it the support box has specific dimensions snd would be a mess to break the concrete slab.
What i can do is to use rock wool or glass wool between the single wall pipe and the drywall/slab to protect them from the heat.

As for the pipe going in the cavity of the first floor...do i need to use insulated pipes.? ( I do use insulated double wall on the exit of the first floors ceiling and all the way to the cap)

For a 6" pipe the support box is 12x12", at least mine is. So the support box would fit right in, wouldn't it?

Also, to avoid needing a lot of clearance between the stove pipe and the wall I used double-walled pipe. That reduces the necessary clearance to 6" or so (but don't quote me on that).

Yes, the flue must transition to chimney pipe at the room ceiling. This is not just about nearby combustibles. It is also about safety. Stovepipe, even double-wall, gets hot. Having a very hot stove pipe in the room above is not safe. Class A, high-temperature chimney pipe is much cooler on the surface due to its insulated jacket. That is why chimney pipe clearances are 2".

Based on the description, the stovepipe going to the chimney support box, must be double-wall stovepipe. Single-wall stovepipe has a clearance requirement of 18" (46cm). Double-wall stovepipe has a clearance requirement of 6" (15cm).

Thank you all for the info provided.
I live in Europe and we haven't got any organization to control/check all these for approval.
Is the support box necessary?(i don't know if we have such things here) If i connect the single wall to the double wall 2-3 inchs before entering the ceiling and continue from there DWed would that work...or i'm missing the purpose of the support box?

Regarding the length of the pipe...i have 18 ft in house and 8ft on the roof.

Would this be another reason for DW pipe? (to keep gasses hot enough)

Generally, building codes will vary from country to country. BUT as they all derive from safety aspects, they should all be similar. Should meaning it depends on how safe a country wants their citizens to be. Cyprus being in the EU, there is a (mandatory) EU regulation for that. The EU regulation by itself is not what needs to be adhered to, but every member country needs to pass federal legislation which adheres to the EU standard. A quick google search will give you the relevant EU regulation and probably the Cyprian federal regulation for that.

As many users here live in the US, they obviously are more familiar with the US regulations. But as mentioned, I'd be rather surprised if EU regulations were less stringent than their US counterparts. So yes, a dedicated (and approved) ceiling support box is most likely required under Cyprian law. And again, for good reason: Safety.

I've lived in the EU all of my life (minus 2 years), so I guess you can believe me here. I also visited Greece a lot of times, and if Cyprus is anything like it, I am also aware that there are many ways to cut corners and get away with it. For your own safety, don't.

Reactions: vti-chris
Thank you all for the info provided.
I live in Europe and we haven't got any organization to control/check all these for approval.
Is the support box necessary?(i don't know if we have such things here) If i connect the single wall to the double wall 2-3 inchs before entering the ceiling and continue from there DWed would that work...or i'm missing the purpose of the support box?

Regarding the length of the pipe...i have 18 ft in house and 8ft on the roof.

Would this be another reason for DW pipe? (to keep gasses hot enough)
What is described is another reason for the chimney support box. It is what supports the weight of the chimney. These are not uncommon in Europe.

We use stainless steel brackets instead of the support box screwed on the sides on the wall.
Looked it around and it just connects the single wall to double wall pipe plus supporting the weight of the chimney.

I thought it was an insulation part!!

I'll try to make a drawing later on so that i can do things right the first time.

This is the setup i have in my mind.
I will use a ring to cover up the connection of the single and double pipe on the ceiling of the ground floor and also try to keep the drywall on the opening about an inch away from the DW pipe at the connection point.

IMG_20201014_122728.jpg

Ring
7c0b1572-5b6e-490e-a272-3b951bb6c0ed.jpeg

There is no way I would install like that. It must be chimney pipe starting at the first floor ceiling and 45º elbows aren't made for chimney pipe here.

What would have been a proper way to install it?
I have to make an offset ans pull the stove away from the wall and still make it to rhe ceiling opening.
I have single wall SS pipes on the ground floor and SS DW insulated pipes from the ceiling all the way through the cavity of the 1st floor and on the roof.

The only thing i would add would be an adaptor to convert the single pipe to double pipe at the 45° pipes.