My little wood cutting buddy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
I know I am a ridiculously proud Papa, but had to share these pics of my grandson cutting some white oak with his Dad and me today. He is using the same little bow saw his Dad used when he was his age and cutting wood with me. The tradition lives on. :)

Attachments

• Trent Wood Cutting 2012-3 edit.jpg
    Trent Wood Cutting 2012-3 edit.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 663
  • Trent Wood Cutting 2012 edit.jpg
    Trent Wood Cutting 2012 edit.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 638
I know I do! That is awesome!

tfdchief said:
I know I am a ridiculously proud Papa, but had to share these pics of my grandson cutting some white oak with his Dad and me today. He is using the same little bow saw his Dad used when he was his age and cutting wood with me. The tradition lives on. :)

I remember pounding in some fence post with my grandfather on the farm, after not seeing him for about 20 minutes I turned and saw him in the truck having a beer, I joined him, don't remember much after that. :zip:

Nice pics tfdchief.

zap

Great pic, TD !!

Loving the handed down saw part :)

That's awesome.

awesome scene Chief, enjoy the time together................

He's building some strong wrist, arm & shoulder muscles.
Great pic. He's having fun & doing a good job :)

To really see the "stuff" he is made of . . . have him cut that other tree in the first pic with the bow saw. ;) If he gets through that . . . well then . . . you might as well hand over your chainsaw to him right then and there.

Nice truck in the background . . . not quite fire engine red though.

It probably won't be long Jake, at least I am counting on it. ;-P And actually, it is Fire Engine red, just a crappy cell phone pic. I should have moved over a little, the plates say TFD ;-)

Now just think back a few months Steve. At that time you was wondering if this time would even come again. So this has to be extra sweet for you, your son and your grandson.

Nice story to share,I was married at 17 and now have 4 grandsons that are mad to do all the stuff I like,woodcuttin,huntin,trappin. Your grandsons on the right path enjoy him they grow up fast.

Backwoods Savage said:
Now just think back a few months Steve. At that time you was wondering if this time would even come again. So this has to be extra sweet for you, your son and your grandson.
You are so right Dennis!!!! As much as it hurts, I am really glad to be doing it. I struggle sometimes, and of course you know how that feels, but it sure beats the alternative. :smirk:

ohlongarm said:
Nice story to share,I was married at 17 and now have 4 grandsons that are mad to do all the stuff I like,woodcuttin,huntin,trappin. Your grandsons on the right path enjoy him they grow up fast.
ohlongarm, I am trying real hard to enjoy every last second. My son grew up to fast and my grandson seems to be growing up at high speed.....wish I could slow it down.

Awesome!

I managed some trigger time today, I'm starting to feel good enough to do something stupid. :lol:

So, what age do you think a chainsaw might be appropriate? My guy is 8 and I feel like the time is getting close...not yet, but close.

Danno77 said:
So, what age do you think a chainsaw might be appropriate? My guy is 8 and I feel like the time is getting close...not yet, but close.
I think that depends entirely on the individual, not age. Some would be big and strong enough, responsible enough at a particular age, and some would not. Guns are the same way, IMO.

tfdchief said:
Danno77 said:
I think that depends entirely on the individual, not age. Some would be big and strong enough, responsible enough at a particular age, and some would not. Guns are the same way, IMO.
Agreed. His 20ga. shotgun is sitting in the safe awaiting the day I feel he is old enough. I have a .22 he'll shoot first, then comes something with more kick (his gun)

I know we are getting close, but not there yet. Maybe next fall or so. I'd like to think that reason and logic will help my vision stay clear and not let my excitement over sharing these hobbies get in the way of good decision making. I'd let my wife help decide, but if she had it her way she'd rather he never touch either. He'll take a hunting and gun safety class, but I don't know of a youth geared chainsaw safety class, lol.

Danno said:
tfdchief said:
Danno said:
Agreed. His 20ga. shotgun is sitting in the safe awaiting the day I feel he is old enough. I have a .22 he'll shoot first, then comes something with more kick (his gun)

I know we are getting close, but not there yet. Maybe next fall or so. I'd like to think that reason and logic will help my vision stay clear and not let my excitement over sharing these hobbies get in the way of good decision making. I'd let my wife help decide, but if she had it her way she'd rather he never touch either. He'll take a hunting and gun safety class, but I don't know of a youth geared chainsaw safety class, lol.
You have the right idea Danno, I know some youth that are more knowledgeable and responsible and trustworthy than some adults. Just depends and you are the one that is going to have to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.