My "new" Husky 350...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
I found a non running Husky 350 on CL for $50, the saw looked to be in good shape other than it had almost no compression.. I figures I would give it a shot and see if I could get it running again. I ordered a aftermarket piston and ring kit from E bay,
cleaned up the cylinder, replaced the fuel line and filter, fixed the air leaks, and replaced the carb diaphragms. I gave everything a good cleaning and put it all back together.

So far I have only run it for about half an hour, but it did seem to run and cut quite well.

I posted a more in depth write up with more pics on:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=c589fdd22db1e41be6fd0f3077bd1cd5&p=1559304#post1559304

Attachments

• husky350_1.jpg
    husky350_1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 485
  • husky350_2.jpg
    husky350_2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 457
  • case_3.jpg
    case_3.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 447
Nice rebuild

I have that saw and love it. I've had it for almost 7 years and have done nothing but sharpen the blade and give it a cleaning once and and a while. this is the first year it has given me trouble. Its been idling rough and now it keeps stalling. I swear its pissed at me because I left it out in the rain for a day (first time ever) since then it continues to run worse and worse until now I have to keep reving it to get it to idle. I am replacing the plug and giving it its yearly cleaning to hope it comes back to life.

Other that Its a great saw, anyone that uses it can't believe how smooth and powerful it is.

That is a great feeling when you complete a rebuild like that.

Enjoy the saw

That's sensational - well done :) I paid twice that to have my diaphragm replaced on my Husky 353, I wish I had your skills!

PunKid8888 said:
I have that saw and love it. I've had it for almost 7 years and have done nothing but sharpen the blade and give it a cleaning once and and a while. this is the first year it has given me trouble. Its been idling rough and now it keeps stalling. I swear its pissed at me because I left it out in the rain for a day (first time ever) since then it continues to run worse and worse until now I have to keep reving it to get it to idle. I am replacing the plug and giving it its yearly cleaning to hope it comes back to life.

Other that Its a great saw, anyone that uses it can't believe how smooth and powerful it is.

A few thing to check, clean the carb and replace the diaphragms, replace the fuel line and filter, check for air leaks, the 350 has a poorly designed intake manifold the plastic clip did not provide much clamping force, I replaced mine with a hose clamp.
I also had a substantial air leak where the cylinder meets the plastic case. I suspect the plastic relaxes a bit allowing the screws to loosen. This is probably what killed the saw for the previous owner.

Good luck

I did the plug and a good cleaning of the saw. I was able to get it to run and idle after some tuning, i needed to bring the idle way up which is odd. It still feels kinda rough at idle. I cut up some wood yesterday and it seamed to run real rough if I held it at a bad angle. I think its fuel related, like it might be starving for fuel if its leaned one way, but I never remember having a problem with it before this year. I will take the carb out and give it a cleaning. Is there any trick to removing the carb, I looked at briefly but was not sure what was securing it.

A leaned out saw tends to rev up or scream, not run rough.

PunKid8888 said:
I did the plug and a good cleaning of the saw. I was able to get it to run and idle after some tuning, i needed to bring the idle way up which is odd. It still feels kinda rough at idle. I cut up some wood yesterday and it seamed to run real rough if I held it at a bad angle. I think its fuel related, like it might be starving for fuel if its leaned one way, but I never remember having a problem with it before this year. I will take the carb out and give it a cleaning. Is there any trick to removing the carb, I looked at briefly but was not sure what was securing it.

Sounds like you might have an air leak somewhere - as in needing more fuel at idle to compensate for a lean mix... As others have said check your carb-manifold-engine joints. Could also be a marginal diaphram, or possibly a leaky fuel suction line.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.